Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

We have a high pitched buzzing/humming type noise in our house

We have a high pitched buzzing/humming type noise in our house and we cannot tell where it is coming from. It is louder at night and seems to be worse on some nights than others. Sometimes you can hear it during the day but it is the type of noise that you really have to focus on to hear but when you hear it it is really annoying. It bothers my husband much more than myself and is affecting our sleep. The noise is still there if the heater/air conditioner is on or off. We had 1 electrician come out who couldn't hear it and I spoke with anohter on the phone and it didn't sound like he was comfortable trying to figure out an issue of this type that was not straightforward. It sounds like a high pitched electrical noise to us but we don't know what else to look at to try and solve this issue. What do you suggest?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 6 years ago.

Sir Sparks :

My name isXXXXX am a Master USA and UK Electrician.

It will take me a minute to consider your question, so while I am studying it please take a moment to read the following:

You should treat my assistance as a form of consultation. As an expert, I will do my very best to solve your problem. Occasionally it may be necessary to point you in the right direction without an immediate solution.

This does not mean I have "failed" and don't deserve compensation for my time and knowledge. Therefore, when it comes time to "accept" my answer, please consider the effort and expertise I have put into giving you the best advice possible.

Sir Sparks :

One night at a time switch one breaker off until the noise disappears. If it does not disappear then on the final night switch the main breaker off

Sir Sparks :

This way you will ocate it to one circuit or confirm that the fault is OUTSIDE of your home at which point call your Utility company.

Sir Sparks :

ocate = locate

Sir Sparks :

When I have answered your question to your satisfaction please click on the "ACCEPT" button. This is the only way I get credited for my time and expertise from the deposit you have already made.

After you ACCEPT, you will find in your email inbox a link back to this question, and at a later date you may return here for no additional charge should you require more information on this present question.

As a show of good faith on both sides I recommend this is the way to proceed now. If I have done exceptionally well a bonus is greatly appreciated.

Your 100% satisfaction is my goal so please do not "accept" then leave less than positive feedback.

Thank you for using Just Answer. For all future questions you may request me directly; SIR SPARKS