Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

do i need license to start my own electrical business and hire

do i need license to start my own electrical business and hire my cousin who has his masters
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Where are you located?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im in massachusetts
Most states will allow a business to employ a licensed electrician to fulfill the basic requirements for having an electrical business. We have an expert who is an electrical inspector in Massachusetts and I'll check with him for the specifics.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 48 years Experience
I received the advise from the other expert. He said it is possible to do what you wanted. I wonder what happens if the relationship with your electrician ends. What then> Partnerships are like marriage they usually don't end as friendly as they started.

Hello .. I would check with the local inspector or the electrical board in Massachusetts .. I read the licensing rules a bit differently .. and was licensed in Mass in my earlier career ..

Master electrician" means a holder of a Class A license and a person, firm, or corporation having a regular place of business who, by the employment of journeymen or apprentices, performs the work of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes; provided, however, that no journeyman electrician so employed shall have more than one apprentice under his supervision; and provided, further, that not more than one such apprentice shall be employed for each journeyman electrician purposes.

I understand this to mean that in Mass you need a Masters license to operate a business hiring licensed electricians for electrical work ..

Thoughts ,, concerns ??

When Mass first started licensing electricians ,, they grandfathered workers with a journeymans license , and business owners with a masters license .. the master could run a business , but not do the work unless he also obtained a working journeymans license .. I believe that they have changed the requirements for the masters license , but that the masters is still required to employ licensed electricians in a business ..

thoughts .. ??

Edited by Rich on 2/4/2011 at 3:11 PM EST