Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

Can a house with improper wiring cause electric bill to be

Can a house with improper wiring cause electric bill to be higher, or is there an advantage in using small heaters room to room instead of using cemtral unit
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.

Rich :

Hello .. what type heat is your central unit ? air, water, steam, oil, electric ?

Customer :

all electric

Rich :

There may be a bit of concern if you think you have faulty wiring .. what makes you think this may be so ?

Customer :

the electric bills are so high, the house was built in 1986 and the main unit is broken and the bill is high with small heating the kind you plug into a 120 volt

Rich :

Small heaters may be an advantage over the central unit if you want to only heat certain areas .. they are probably a bit more efficient and quicker to heat and can be more easily controled .. but if you are heating the whole house this way it will probably br more expensive

Rich :

what ios with the central unit .. ?/

Rich :

is this hot air system. baseboard electric .. or what ?

Rich :

your short answer of "all electric" did not give me very much information

Rich :

Why do you think you have faulty wiring ?

Customer :

If you plug something into most of the outlets they are always hot. I live in texas and it doesnot get too cold.

Customer :

sorry, distracted for a moment, all electric means the entire house use electric no gas

Rich :

the outlet gets hot after having something plugged in for a while .. I would need to know what was plugged in .. what the amperage or wattage rating of the appliance is .. the amperage rating of the circuit breaker .,. and the size of the wire used in the circuit .. Thanks

Rich :

so you hyave electric base board heat

Customer :

they were 500 watt heaters

Rich :

or you have electri heater and fiorced hot air .. or forced hot water .. or electric radiant in the ceiling ??

Customer :

should I have an electrician check it out

Rich :

how many 500 watt heaters are plugged into each circuit ? what is the rating of the circuit breaker??

Rich :

not yet .. if you can answer my questions .,. we can get closer to an overall answer for you on these many issues

Customer :

the central unit has a heat strip with a furnace but the unit is broken, there are two 500 watt units downstairs and 2 up.

Rich :

It is less likely that your high electric bills are related to faulty wiring ..

Rich :

If these outlets get hot with the heaters plugged in .. but do not with a lamp plugged in .. then the issue is more likely in the size of the heat ,, not in the outlet

Customer :

what else could it be? there is the hot water heater, the stove, the washer and dryer. I am just trying to figure out why the bill is so high

Customer :

Also the house is 2600 sq.ft. and the bill with out the central unit is still in the 300 to 400 dollar range every month

Rich :

If you were to shut off all the appliances and lights . so there is nothing using electricity ... then go and look at the meter and see if it is spinning .. then you would see if there is some issue with faulty wiring .. just make sure you turn off or unplug everything .. like clocks .. and stuff

Rich :

My house in vegas is half that size and almost that much each month

Rich :

How much were the bills this time of year with the central unit working

Rich :

??

Customer :

I had 600 dollar bills when the unit was working properly.

Customer :

I will shut everything off and slowly turn back on to see what speeds the mtr. up

Customer :

I am thinking it has to be somehting in the house.

Rich :

SOOOO .. with the central unit working .. your bill was 600 .. and with the space heaters it is 400 .. ?? right ?? now I do not understand the original question /.. it appears that the bills are less now

Customer :

I am thinking at best the bill shouldnot be over 200 per month. What do you think about rewiring the house with better grade of wire..

Rich :

Your wire is as good as it gets .. it has not changed in the last 30 years .. if there is a fault the breakers would trip .. If you have 8000 that you do not know what to do with .. then rewiring may be OK for you .. but it will probably not effect your situation at all

Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain