Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

Is there any requirement on where a breaker box can be installed

Is there any requirement on where a breaker box can be installed? I have a local home inspecter that says I can not put a breaker within 3 feet of a wall or a door on either side of a box and the same for a breaker box out side what is the code on where and how far it has to be?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 3 years ago.

Sir Sparks :

A Master Electrician here to help. I am a double qualified; USA & UK electrician. Please give me a moment to formulate a reply.

Sir Sparks :

The first thing to remember is that Home Inspectors are really quite dumb.

Sir Sparks :

Now there are places you cannot install this panel but what you have described is not any of them

Customer :

he says that there cannot be a wall to the left or right with in 3 feet or door open? I installed a 200 amp breaker box outside with in 3 feet of a window is there any thing wrong with that? I think a meterbox is not to be installed within 3 feet is that right?

Customer :

Can you give me a page number in the NEC book to show him on this ?

Sir Sparks :

The riser may not be within 3ft of a window the panel is fine as long as it is 4 inches off the door frame. Regarding the panel it must have clear access for it's entire width and 3 ft out. That's all.

Sir Sparks :

I cannot give you an NEC reference to that which does not exist. it is his responsibility to give you this reference that states you MAY NOT !

Sir Sparks :

basically he pays up or shuts up

Customer :

Riser you calling is my pipe to my weather head?

Sir Sparks :

Yes

Customer :

So the only thing that you can find in the book on this is 4 inches off a door way? There is nothing on 3 feet or a wall within 3 feet right?

Customer :

Is the ground number 4 bare suppost to run from the meter box down through the breaker box and down to the ground rod?

Sir Sparks :

That is correct except as I stated 3ft clear access, and he needs to show the opposite by quoting a code reference, however if you feel more comfortable I could pass you over to a REAL electrical Inspector (not a wanna be home inspector)

Sir Sparks :

It can do

Sir Sparks :

Umm

Sir Sparks :

No

Sir Sparks :

from meter to ground rod or from panel to ground rod, not both

Customer :

One man from the power co here wants it that way ane the next man wants something different?

Sir Sparks :

Power co's can be a pain, both are acceptable so go with what they want

Sir Sparks :

Just remember that from either the meter OR the main panel to the grounding system

Sir Sparks :

grounding can get a little complicated

Customer :

Your eletrical inspector can he give me a page or anything different on this to help get this guy straight?

Sir Sparks :

How can you get a page for that which does not exist/

Sir Sparks :

?

Sir Sparks :

I can hand the question over to him if you chose ?

Customer :

Do you put all you ground wires on one side of the breaker box and neutrals on the other side ? Like you said they are dumb trying to change him is the thing so I will get him to show me. I am waiting on a inspection right now.

Sir Sparks :

That is NOT necessary on the main panel.

Sir Sparks :

It is good practice BUT if this main panel is the first means of disconnect ( no disconnect between it and the meter) then you do NOT need to. In facy it is the opposite. Both sides must be bonded together

Sir Sparks :

So they look good on opposite sides but it is not needed.

Sir Sparks :

Every other panel it needs to be this way but NOT the main panel

Sir Sparks :

where are you located that you are getting an inspection at this time?

Customer :

Grounding question If you have soild rock down at 2 foot ca I dig down and lay my groung rod flat down to be buried two foot down and be all right?

Customer :

this inspecter wante a gfi breaker on a line and at the plugs on the same line a gfi plug it cant work can it?

Sir Sparks :

Code atet

Sir Sparks :

Code states that if you cannot obtain a resistance of at least 25 ohms to ground (very hard to measure) then you should add a second ground rod. there are no other obligations, not even to reach the 25 ohms.

Sir Sparks :

I am afraid you are far surpassing the amount of questions you originally posed and what I am prepared to answer for the price.

Sir Sparks :

Also I don't understand your last question.

Customer :

I HAD A BOAT DOCK AND THE WIRE RUNNING DOWN TO IT, HE WANTED A GFI BREAKER ON THIS WIRE AND GFI PLUGS AT THE BOAT DOCK WILL THEY WORK ON THE SAME LINE?

Sir Sparks :

NO.

Customer :

tHANKS SIR SPARKS

Sir Sparks :

He is a typical Home inspector

Sir Sparks :

Now one thing here

Sir Sparks :

The Work space for the panel must be 30 inches

Customer :

IS 30 INCHES ON BOTH SIDES OR JUST IN FRONT OF THE BOX?

Sir Sparks :

that means 15 inches either side of the center of the panel so it may extend out a little more than the width of the panel

Sir Sparks :

In front of the box is 36 inches

Customer :

OK

Sir Sparks :

If you presently have no more questions and I have answered your question to your satisfaction please click on the "accept" button. This is the only way I get credited for my time and expertise from the deposit you have already made.

Even after "accepting" you can still return to this question at no additional charge should you require more information on this subject at a later date.

Your 100% satisfaction is my goal so please do not "accept" then leave less than positive feedback.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Sir Sparks :

One last thing. You are VERY correct adding a GFCI to another GFCI is plain silly

Sir Sparks :

it will cause cascading trips

Sir Sparks :

your Home Inspector is not too bright

Customer :

THATS A GOOD ONE

Sir Sparks :

remember when he quotes BS ask him for the NEC BS reference.

Customer :

i SURE WILL , i WILL COPY THIS AND ACCEPT IN JUST A MINUTE

Sir Sparks :

OK thanks Have a good one.

Experience: US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines