electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

Gentlemen, Installing VFDs on some large 75 Hp motors. Motors

Customer Question

Gentlemen,
Installing VFDs on some large 75 Hp motors. Motors have across the line starters and disconnect now. I want to series the VFD to the disconnect and just eliminate the line starter. I want to use flexible bundled cable (Type TECK90 or similar without amour if possible) attached to ladder cable tray instead of wire in conduit or enclosed cable tray. Easy of installation is reason. Does this meet NEC code in US? Cable will only be run inside electrical room, not on factory floor.
PA
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The use of cable tray is permissible for you application Ref NEC Art 392
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,

I really was trying to determine if the use ofTech cable was acceptable in this situation and according to NEC 70 code. We're looking to substitute it for the wire and conduit we use now and upper management wants to know if it meets NEC code in the US.

PA

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.
I'll check for that information or I'll give the question to one of our Expert Electrical Inspectors. Please stand by.
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.
What would be the product name that would cover it in the NEC? Do you find it mentioned anywhere in the Code? I have not seen this product before.
What would be the product name that would cover it in the NEC? Do you find it mentioned anywhere in the Code? I have not seen this product before. Is THIS the product you are talking about? Click the link to see it.