Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have installed a allen and roth ceiling fan and can not get

Customer Question

I have installed a allen and roth ceiling fan and can not get the upper light kit to work.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. How old is the fan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
brand new!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Return it as defective. Why would you want to repair something you just purchased?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I thought maybe it was hooked up incorrectly??????

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
If the fan works and the lower light works, you wired it correctly. It could be several things form a bad connection or a defective molex connector. Most fans are made in China and the quality controls are not what we're used to.

Edited by Mike G. on 1/8/2011 at 1:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the 2nd fan that we have installed (different types same brands) but neither one of the upper lights would work. Would this indicate that it's something with the wiring of the house (it's only 10 yrs old)?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
Did you use the pull chain for a selection of the light level. Try pulling it multiple times to see it the light works.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does not have a pull chain, but you did make me think of maybe another do I program the remote with the light, I remember pressing something in the remote they called it a "learn" button. How do I do this?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 years ago.
If you hold the button down for the light, does it cycle through the settings. If it does, when you let go it remembers that setting and with a touch the next time will return to that setting. Try it and let me know what happens.