Amp Man
Amp Man, Journeyman
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician. 20+ years experience. Journeyman Wireman.
52289118

I am installing a Hampton Bay light kit to an existing ceiling

I am installing a Hampton Bay light kit to an existing ceiling fan and now have no power to the fan at all. I followed the directions running the blue wire from the fan to the black wire of the light and white to white. I disconnected and checked existing wires in the housing for any loose connections and swear I got a small shock from the housing unit with the power turned off. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Amp Man replied 6 years ago.

Amp Man :

Hello and Happy New Year!!!

Amp Man :

Was the fan working properly before?

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

Hello?

Amp Man :

sorry I am here

Amp Man :

did the ceiling box have a ground wire?

Amp Man :

also, there is no power to the FAN???

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

there is a white wire in there that is not covered. not sure if that is the ground or not but the directions didnt say anything about a ground wire. There is no power to the fan at all now

Amp Man :

how do you know that there is no power to the fan?

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

because I turned the breaker back on and flipped the switch and nothing happens.

Amp Man :

a white wire does not indicate a ground

Amp Man :

That does not mean the fan does not have power. Do you have a voltage tester and the ability to take the fan down?

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

no I don't have those things. If the fan does have power why would nothing happen when everything is turned back on?

Amp Man :

That is what we need to verify. There may be a connection problem inside the ceiling box. We can go back to the switch and make sure it is ok, but other than that you are quite limited as to what can be tested.

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

If I had a voltage tester how do I use it to test power to the fan? Is it possible something in the fan burnt out when I hooked things up and turned it back on? I checked the wires in the housing unit to see if anything seemed loose and didnt find anything. which color wire indicates power?

Amp Man :

Many times there maybe a connection at the supply (ceiling box) that is not quite right. Once you started installing the light fixture, the inherent movement of the installation may have compromised that connection just enough to cause this problem.

Amp Man :

The Black wire typically indicates power.

Amp Man :

But not always.....this can change based on the situation

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

So the wires coming out of the ceiling to the fan or the wires coming out of the fan light housing to the light?

Amp Man :

Coming out of the ceiling to the fan.

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

I see. So I could unhook the fan from the ceiling and check those connections and see if the fan still works and if it does continue on with the light

Amp Man :

Correct. Make sure you turn power off at the breaker FIRST and take careful note all the wires in the ceiling box and how they are hooked up and what color everything is....

Amp Man :

are you going to do that?

Amp Man :

Also did you install the fan originally?

Amp Man :

How old is the house?

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

I did not install the fan originally and the house is 26 years old. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing all that, may have to hire it out

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

any clue why I would feel a small shock when the breaker was off? I dont think I imagined it and it was a little less than licking a 9v battery

Amp Man :

That is probably due to a problem in the neutral connection inside the ceiling box.

JACUSTOMER-k5cxcjug- :

ok...thank you