Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Can I use a 2-2-2-4 aluminum ser entrance cable for 100 amp

Can I use a 2-2-2-4 aluminum ser entrance cable for 100 amp service in a commercial/residential building
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Yes, it's rated for 100 Amps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went from the meter base through 2 inch conduit on the outside of a building up to the attic through the attic without conduit and then down to the 100 amp service panel in conduit. Now I have been told that 100 amp is improper use because it's rated for underground use
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 years ago.
SER cable is not approved for underground installations. It being a cable should not be installed in a conduit. URD is underground cable. Is this question prompted by a gig on a job by an electrical inspector?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 years ago.
Also, if you give me your location, I'll be better able to advise you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, a fire inspector. To clarify, I used ser 2-2-2-4 wire (4 wires twisted together-not encased) I am using a licensed electrician who has looked up these procedures in the nec 2011 code book.

We are located in Bluffton Indiana

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 years ago.
SER is a 4 wire cable ( bare ground) having an outer sheath of thermoplastic. It is rated for installations above ground. What you described is URD, which is a direct bury cable not having the outer sheath and an insulated ground. This cable can't be installed as you have described. I think the problem is the identification of the cable and its use.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I used Lowe's 2-2-2-4 alum mobl hm fdr

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 years ago.
If you can see the individual conductors it isn't SER cable and there in lies your problem. If you send a picture of the cable I can identify it for you if my description isn't understood.