electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise

I have a mobile home. it is fed from outside thru a 60 amp

Customer Question

I have a mobile home. it is fed from outside thru a 60 amp breaker. The panel inside is a 100 amp panel. how does this effect my wiring. I am constantly fliping breakers.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 3 years ago.

electrifier :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Customer :

hello

electrifier :

Let me make sure I have the whole picture here. You have a mobile home with a 100 amp breaker box installed in the box. What is your feeder from the outside panel to this panel in the trailer? Is it a cord or conduit? What is the service outside the house? Is it a breaker or fuses? Are you saying that breakers inside the trailer are tripping and must be reset?

Customer :

feed from outside to mobile home is underground. Large gauge wire. The meter feeds a service panel located on the pole. The service panel has a 60 amp main breaker. The 100 amp panel ( inside) is fed thru the 60 amp breaker. Also on the outside panel is two 20 amp 220 breakers. One for the well and one for an outside storage area. The two 20 amp breakers are not fed thru the 60 amp main breaker.

electrifier :

Where are the tripping breakers?

Customer :

I both inside and outside.

Customer :

not constantly and not always the same one. I have checked the load and I am not exceeding the amps.

electrifier :

Is the outside underground wiring in conduit all the way or is it direct burial? Is it copper or aluminum? Which outside breakers are tripping and which inside breakers are tripping? What do they go to?

Customer :

It appears to be conduit from the outside breaker to at least below ground. After that i can not tell.

Customer :

Copper

electrifier :

Which breakers are tripping?

electrifier :

Well?

electrifier :

Shed?

electrifier :

Trailer?

electrifier :

Which inside brakers?

Customer :

well, trailer,and shed never together. Inside breaker is wall outlets for bedroom and living room.

electrifier :

Where are you located?

Customer :

The 100 amp has nevers tripped but the 60 amp has on occasion. Texas San Patricio Elect. CoOP.

electrifier :

Have you checked the breaker terminals for tightness?

Customer :

Rural Area

electrifier :

Does it get cold there? Do you run electric heaters?

Customer :

Yes I have. All except the Mains. Yes it does and I use small electric heaters.

Customer :

1500 watt heaters but never on the same circuit

electrifier :

Small electric heaters can be very dangerous. They draw a lot of power. If you have more than one on a circuit you will trip the breaker frequently. I suspect you are overloading the circuits. A 15 amp circuit is good for 1800 watts. If you have a heater on this circuit you only have 300 watts available for the rest of the circuit. I suggest turning the heaters to the lowest setting or not using them at all. Use the furnace in the trailer instead of electric heaters.

electrifier :

Now for outside. The 60 amp breaker for the trailer is not correct. You need a 100 amp circuit to feed the 100 amp trailer. The trailer is treated like a 100 amp piece of equipment. It is built for a 100 amp feed. Make sure the wiring feeding the trailer is #4 copper or larger for the wires connected to the breaker so you can have a 100 amp feed for this trailer.

Customer :

Does the 60 amp feeding a 100 amp cause a problem. I am considering replacing the out side service panel with a 100 amp panel. or at least changing the breaker to a 100 amp

electrifier :

Dig down and see if the wiring is in conduit all the way or if it is direct burial wire. If there is a nick in direct burial wiring you will have power going into the ground. This is a big problem at times.

electrifier :

The service is not so simple as just swapping breakers.

electrifier :

The service disconnect enclosure is rated for amperage.

electrifier :

They will be normally 100 amps, 125 amps or 200 amps

electrifier :

It all depends on what panel you have. Do you have any single pole breakers in this panel on the pole?

Customer :

short run only 15 or so feet maybe just replace it? Can I test the undergound with a multimeter or amp probe. So change the entire service box. The electrical companyl said they would pull my meter and replace it the same day.

Customer :

Yes I have one single pole breaker on the outside box

Customer :

It is wired to a 30 amp 110 outlet for a travel trailer. Not used very often

electrifier :

The NEC requires a main breaker in your outside service. I would recommend a 200 amp service upgrade since you need 100 amps for the trailer, a 20 amp well and a 20 amp shed and a 30 amp trailer. Anytime you have anything 120 volts in a service panel you MUST have a main breaker. The single pole breaker is not allowed as a service disconnect.

electrifier :

As far as checking the 3 underground circuits you can do so with an ohm meter or an amp meter. There are different ways depending on what you have available.

electrifier :

Let me know and I'll guide you.

Customer :

I understand. what gauge wire from the meter loop to the out side service. and the service to the well and shed is direct burial. I have both.

Customer :

amp probe and meter

electrifier :

Ok, turn off everything in the shed and check amperage on the breaker. With the well not running check the amperage to the well. If there is ANYTHING it could be leakage into the ground.

Customer :

is conversation over?

electrifier :

Do the same with the trailer. Turn off the 100 amp breaker inside and check amperage to the trailer.

electrifier :

Be sure and check both legs on the 2 pole breakers.

electrifier :

I don't understand what you mean by "meter loop".

electrifier :

A 200 amp service needs either 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum.

Customer :

the box that houses the meter. It is directly above the out side service box

Customer :

that is simple enough. Do you have a brand you reccomend or at least one I should avoid

electrifier :

I always use a Square D Homeline panel for something like this 200 amp service. It is 200 amp raintight main breaker feed through with 8 spaces for up to 4 2 pole breakers. Here you would have a 100 amp and 2 20 amp breakers plus the single pole for the camper. This would protect the whole thing for 200 amps and give you proper sized overcurrent for the loads connected.

electrifier :

Home Depot should have this panel.

electrifier :

Another thing, use breakers of the same brand as the panel they go into.

electrifier :

I have seen panels burned up because a different brand breaker was installed

electrifier :

Also the code requires this

electrifier :

If you have more questions later you will be able to return here and ask me then.

Customer :

thank you very much.

electrifier :

I will get an e-mail telling me of your post here.

electrifier :

We may need to do more troubleshooting of these 3 feeders depending on what you find.

electrifier :

Thank you. Let me know what you find and we'll continue with new questions then.

electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise