I am wondering if I can fire a kiln in my basement, hooked to the dryer outlet
, but I am wondering the difference in wiring
between these two kilns.
Biggest Little Kiln
it is 240V, 28 amps, 6720 watts, I am not sure what the gauge of the copper wire is.
Requires 240v, 30 amp fuse
(comes with 6-30 plug)
Skutt KS 818 - I already have this one, but am wondering why, if it draws less amps, does it need a higher rated receptacle??
240 Volts 27.8 Amps 6660 Watts
208 Volts 26.7 Amps 5550 Watts
Copper Wire Size: 8
Breaker Size: 40
NEMA Receptacle Configuration: 6-50
The receptacle that I currently have is NEMA 14-30
I was told not to change the plug on the Skutt kiln because plugging it into a 30 amp receptacle could cause some overheating and potential fires.
Can I change the plug on the Biggest Little Kiln and be ok firing that?
Why does the skutt draw less amps, but need a bigger fuse?
I do not have the option of upgrading my electrical, so which kiln would be best to use, if either?
Or, I have an oven outlet that is nema 14-50, and the breaker for that is 40amp. Is it safe to run an adaptor, such as the one peter suggested, from there to outside? it would be about 20 feet. I know the current drops off as you move the electricity further way from the outlet, would there be any danger in running this?