Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.

Light bulbs come on real slow

Light bulbs come on real slow
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Does that happen to all the lights in the house or only with the lights that are on one switch? If it only happens to one sets of lights can you tell me what type of bulbs do you have? Are those lights controlled by the dimmer or by the switch? Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This problem is only on one circuit. The lights in the kitchen, the switches in the living room which control the ceiling fan and the ceiling fans outside above the deck are on one circuit.

Last weekend the ceiling fan inside stopped working. We took it down and replaced it with another ceiling fan.
We checked it to make sure it was working before we finished the light kit. All was good until we tried to turn it on after we completed the installation nothing seemed to work. Holding the remote medium speed button down the fan gradually spun up, but when we let up it stopped. The lights work but are not consistent. Checked the other lights on this circuit and the outside light on the out door ceiling fan spins up slowly. The ceiling fans outside have not worked since Rita(hurricane), but lights work. Took the breaker box cover off and tightened up all the neutral connections. Replaced the wall switches that control the inside ceiling fan. We suspect that the ceiling fan we ha last week was ok, that the problem is something else inside or outside the house.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Thank You for information. Do you have a volt meter? Are there any receptacles on affected circuit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is a sperry voltector
It defects 120,240,480 & 600 volts
It also as a dc polarity
Black / red which below indicates negative glows

Yes there are some two plug receptacles
The top one indicates 120
The bottom one nothing

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.

Can you turn your volt meter to AC volts and take the receptacle out and take a reading between brass and silver screw. also between brass and ground wire. Let me know how many and what color wires you have in that receptacle box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Black, white and brown wires

Between black and ground we're getting 120

Not sure what you mean by brass and silver screw?
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
I meant the screws on the receptacle. now can you please open the switch that controls the light which comes slow and tell me how many and what color wires do you have there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are three decora switches
In one box

The center one controls the outside light that spins up slow

Two wires both black
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
there should be white wires spliced to each other and capped off with wire nut. please take a reading between those white wires and those to black wires with the switch being on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got nothing
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
got nothing means no white wires? or no voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alex

By opening the switch boxes I must have caused the connection to contact

My ceiling fan is now working as designed

The slow light bulb is still slow, but decided I'll put that off for another day

I'm using a iPad and am looking for the accept button, any suggestions

Want to pay you for your time

To answer your question yes there are white wires with a twistie but got no reading, suspect that I didn't contact wire.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you have a loose connection in one of the boxes on that circuit. You would need to shut the circuit breaker off and see what is not working. After you determine what is on that circuit you will need to open the boxes and check the connections on the screws and also under the wire nuts. Let me know if you find anything.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my answer and for generous bonus.

You can bookmark my profile for your future electrical question. That way you could find me easy.

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=33304076&FID=64

Regards,

Alex