Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

what size circuit breaker do i need for a 2HP pool pump I

what size circuit breaker do i need for a 2HP pool pump? I went ahead and installed a 20A GFI breaker. Also, the plug on the 2HP pump has a round 3 prong connector. I intended to install a standard 20A double receptacle (but can't since I forgot about the 3 prong connector). Is there such a thing as a twist lock 20A duplex receptacle?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Does the plug for your pool pump look like this?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

it should say nema code on it. can you also read the name plate rating on your pump? it should say the voltage and amperage as well. Nema L6 - 20 by any chance? thank you

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 10/6/2010 at 2:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
don't see nema rating. 13.5 amp draw uses hubbell 2310 receptacle
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
Can I ask you why do you want to have a duplex receptacle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
found it! nema L5-20R. Why I want a duplex? I was hoping to have 2 outlets. One for the pump and one for a pool light (really only needs 15A). I installed a junction box on my house foundation and ran 2 switch wires to my deck so I could control both receptacles separately. Then I realized that the pump needs a 3 prong receptacle.
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

Can you please read the voltage on the plate of the pump? because L5-20 is a 120v receptacle. is that what you have on pump?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
125VAC
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

Well then you are all set. you need 20 amp GFCI breaker which you already have. L5-20R receptacle. you could install 2 gang outdoor box with 2 gang in use cover as on following pictures and install another outlet right next to the pump outlet. however keep in mind that is better when the pump is on its own circuit.

Register Here

Register Here

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, one last thing. From what you told me ,I can install 2 duplex outlets in the box right? Is it possible to adapt the one duplex OUTLET to accept a standard grounded plug? Also, where can I get a 2 gang outdoor box with a lift off plastic cover?
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

you will need to install one single outlet ( L5-20R ) for pump and 1 regular duplex outlet next to it. Home depot, Lowes or any electrical supply house sells 2 gang outdoor boxes and in use covers. with the in use cover you have ability to have any combination you want. in other words you can have one switch and one outlet or one single and one duplex outlet. it has a plates that you can interchange. Duplex outlet meaning outlet like on the following picture. I also provide the picture with the insert plates for in use cover so you can see what I mean.

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thats cool man. I appreciate it.
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my answer. Please bookmark my profile for your next Electrical question.

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=33304076&FID=64

Regards,

Alex