Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

Wall switch does not turn off ceiling light. Was ok for many

Wall switch does not turn off ceiling light. Was ok for many years.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Alex the Electrician :

Hello. can you open the switch and tell me how many and what color wires are connected to the switch?

Customer :

There are three wires. One is colored white, one is red, one is green.

Alex the Electrician :

ok. please disconnect white and red wires from brass terminal screws and see if the ceiling light goes off. let me know

Alex the Electrician :

shut the circuit breaker off before procedding

Alex the Electrician :

then safe off the wires and turn the breaker back on

Alex the Electrician :

see if the light stays off

Customer :

I did that------ light does not go off.

Alex the Electrician :

do you have more wires in the switch box?

Customer :

no. only three

Alex the Electrician :

please tell me exactly how many and how are they wired? any wires spliced to each other and caped off?

Alex the Electrician :

ok. is that light chandelier or regular surface mount light?

Customer :

3 individual wires in one bundle. no splices.

Customer :

surface mount light

Alex the Electrician :

do you have a voltage tester with 2 probes?

Alex the Electrician :

i'm affrayd it is time to take the light down. please remember which wires are connected to the black and white wires on fixture and also tell me how many adwhatcolor wires do you have in the ceiling box?

Customer :

i have a commercial voltage tester. i check the wires at the switch and all are ok.

Alex the Electrician :

how didyou check and wht do you mean by beiing ok? what was the voltage and between what wires?

Customer :

what would be different if it was working before?

Customer :

i misunderstood your question. i have a current (not a voltage tester) when tested it indicated that current was present.

Alex the Electrician :

to determine the real reason we would need 2 prong voltage tester. it is really strange to have only red, white and green wires in the switch box ( unless the wiring is done with the conduit)

Alex the Electrician :

and we need to see how the splice is made in the ceiling box

Customer :

since i do not have a voltage tester, should i proceed to remove the ceiling mounted fixture?

Alex the Electrician :

we can try and see if there are any wires touching each other that is not supposed to. you can proceed and let me know what do you have.

Customer :

good idea. will proceed & get back to you in about 10 minutes

Alex the Electrician :

let me know

Customer :

There are 2 bundle white capped. 1 bundle balck capped. 1 bundle of bare capped. one black connectted to fixture black. one white connectted to fixture white. one green connected to fixture mount. one bare loose.

Alex the Electrician :

so you do not have any red wire in the ceiling box??

Customer :

sorry. there is a red. but it is not capped or spliced. i can not see where it goes.

Alex the Electrician :

hmm

Alex the Electrician :

have changed anything or the light just staied on one day?

Customer :

i changed ceiling light from flourescent to incandcent. worked fine. one day light went out.

Alex the Electrician :

is this the same light?

Alex the Electrician :

so you had a fluorescent light instead of the light that will not shut off?

Customer :

yes.

Customer :

light workded fine. light did shut off. just stopped shutting off.

Alex the Electrician :

can you snap a picture of the ceiling box and switch box and upload here using green tree button located on the top of the typing window? we are missing something here

Customer :

i do not know how to do it. someone will help me & i'll send to you.

Alex the Electrician :

ok

Alex the Electrician :

i"ll be here

Customer :

sorry for the delay. my help has not yet arrived. i expect it soon.

Alex the Electrician :

Ok. but we still might need a voltage tester

Alex the Electrician :

I'm here

Customer :

?not able to send via this modem. can send to an email address. do you have a email address i can send picture to for your look see.

Alex the Electrician :

i'm sorry but we can only communicate via chat or question and answer mode

Alex the Electrician :

when you replaced the light, did you connect the same wires to the light that were connected to the old one?

Customer :

i think this fix is beyond my capabilities. i will pay the $15. i will seek professional help.

Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry that I was not able to help you. Without voltage tester it is really hard to determine the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

issued resolved. failed to mention that lines were connected to a low voltage relay.

wires were not connected to correct switch poles. when i found the correct combination I reconnected three wires to correct switch poles. problem solved.

Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for keeping me updated. I'm glad that issue has been resolved. The existence of relay makes big difference. please bookmark my profile in your browser for your next electrical question.

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=33304076&FID=64

Regards,

Alex