Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am trying to replace a light switch in a mobile home. The

I am trying to replace a light switch in a mobile home. The old switch was one where the wires were pressed into some weird kind of bracket inside the box.It is on a circuit of some kind. It powers my lights in the kitchen (2) but the power continues form there to my living room. I have isolated the "hot" wire. I have which wire goes to the lights and which continues on to the living room. I can get the light to come on but the switch does not turn it off. I have tried a different switch. Same thing. I have 3 wires: white, black, ground. Black is hot. I connect to the top right screw. connect the two whites and 2 grounds and it works but won't turn off. if i connect the white wire on the bottom of switch it trips the breaker. Pleas advise.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jason :

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Customer :

So, any suggestions?

Jason :

Not yet, but the first thing I need to know is whether you can snap a few digital photos of the box and post them here?

Customer :

The old box? How would I post the photos?

Customer :

Can I use text with phone camera?

Jason :

The wall switch box is what I need to see a picture of, as detailed as possible. If you can take digital photos and upload them to your computer, I can tell you how to post them here.

Customer :

Right now I have no box in the wall. I am trying to figure out the wiring before i pu the new box in. I will take pictures of old box and new set up/wiring.

Jason :

Okay, any pictures you post will be helpful.

Jason :

I need to step away from the computer for about 15 minutes. I will keep this chat open. Is that okay with you?

Customer :

Okay working on pictures.

Customer :

Okay. Have some pictures. how do I upload them to you?

Jason :

If you look at the toolbar just above the box where you type your text to me, you should see a small tree icon. Do you see it?

Customer :

Got it. tried to use it but it won't accept the images. Walk me through it.

Jason :

What format did you save them as?

Customer :

jpeg

Jason :

Okay, that usually works. Let's try something different. Have you ever used tinypic.com?

Customer :

No

Customer :

When I browse for the pictures on my desktop it will not copy them

Customer :

I click OK and nothing happens.

Jason :

Tinypic usually works very well. If you type www.tinypic.com into your browser, it'll take you to the site, where you can upload the pics. Then, just give me the link and I'll be able to view them. If you prefer to use the uploading feature here, I'll ask another electrical expert to help us get them loaded. He's a pro at these type of computer questions.

Customer :

I'll try the tiny pics thing. Just a minute.

Customer :

Okay. What do you need to get tehm off tinypics

Jason :

If you go to the page where they are stored on tinypics, you will have a web address in your browser's address window at the top of your screen. If you can, copy and paste that web address here.

Customer :

Customer :

Okay only got one will try other 3

Customer :

Jason :

That showed up pretty big, but I'm trying to garner any details I can from it...

Customer :

Customer :

Customer :

Okay sent the 4 pictures. Not very tiny. First one is my wires, 2nd is old box, 3rd is box I want to install, not sure what that 4th one is.

Jason :

I see the picture of the new box very well, it looks great. The other pics are pretty blurry. It is a box that only holds one switch, correct?

Customer :

One swch yesit

Customer :

Sitch operates two lights but power comes off that switch to go to living room.

Jason :

Okay, how many wires come to that box (or hole in the wall), and what are their colors?

Customer :

There are three wires in the bundle(?) There is black, white and copper ground. Black is hot

Jason :

Okay, and how many bundles?

Customer :

One coming up. Two going out. One to the roof for lights, other going down, I assume to the living room.

Customer :

Bundle is a single white color with the three wires in it.

Jason :

Okay, if you have the set for the lights identified, and the hot set identified, that leaves one set, correct?

Customer :

Yes.

Jason :

Okay, try this... Push the set for the light aside. Connect the other two sets color for color - black to black, and white to white. You don't have to connect the grounds right now. Tell me what happens.

Customer :

I have power going on to the living room.

Jason :

Okay, now add the light wires, color for color and tell me what happens.

Customer :

Without a switch?

Jason :

Yes

Customer :

Light come on and I have power to living room

Jason :

Great, that's what I was hoping you would say. Here's how you wire the new switch... The hot black and the black to the living room need to be joined to each other, with a third short black wire in the same wire nut. The other end of the short black wire goes to the top screw on the side of the switch. All 3 white wires to each other only, in one wire nut. The last black wire (that goes up to the lights) connects to the bottom screw on the side of the switch.

Jason :

Connect all grounds to each other, with a 4th short ground wire going to the switch.

Customer :

Giving it a try.

Customer :

WORKING. nOW IF I CAN GET IT TO ALL FIT IN THE BOX THINGS ARE GREAT. tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP. How do i complete this transaction now?

Jason :

Do you see a button on your screen that says ACCEPT?

Customer :

Got it all together and it works. Plate barely fit but,,,,,,

Jason :

I'm glad to hear that. Success is always sweet.

Customer :

Yes just press it and good to go. Thanks for the assistance. 5 more switches to go.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.