Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines

I have an automatic standby generator which will not start.

I have an automatic standby generator which will not start. Generac Guardian Plus.
model 04456-3, 12kW LP.
It stopped performing the weekly self test whicih it was programed to do. Went to manually start it and only got a clicking noise. Checked oil level, connections and replaced the battery. Reset the exercise time. Still will not kick over just get same clicking noise. Connection to spark plug looks ok but difficult to reach. Last service about 14 months ago.
If you are not familiar, specifically, with the Generac product, please do not answer. Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sir Sparks :

Do you have a multimeter to check 12 volt output from starter motor contactor? This is the most likely cause now, that or a defective/jammed starter motor.

Sir Sparks :

I shall close this chat window now, but you may continue to respond to me at any time in the new window that will appear. Simply contact me when you are ready to continue.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
We can continue here when you are ready. By the way I was formerly a dealer for Guardian, I stopped because I don't like the reliability issues.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got called away from home. will get back tomorrow.
OK take your time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The generator is now running. I checked the starter motor for condition and connections which were o.k. but did not have the equipment to test it. I reset all the fuses and breakers once again and pressed the manual start switch and it started right up. Reset the exercise time and it started once again ran for the 10 minute test and shut down as it should. I am going to assume it was a battery or connection issue but I'm really not sure as I was suprised it started when it did. but anyway, saved a $200 service call.

I agree, it was a loose connection somewhere or a failing starter solenoid.

Home Depot sells a digital test meter for about $23, it would be a good investment around the home.