Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.

How do I rewire a ceiling fan and light switch that turns the

How do I rewire a ceiling fan and light switch that turns the light only on with one pull; the fan only with one pull and both the light and fan with one pull. And of course one pull turns everything off. The old pull swith has only three wires comeing out of it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
Do you have continuity tester? What does the terminals on switch say ( L, 1,2,3) ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a multitester but did not use it. Yest te terminals on the switch say L, 1,2,3 . The old switch was wired using the L, 1 and 3. The 2 was open. I inserted the leads into the L, 1 and 3 one the new switch. The #3 goes to the light (yellow) the white is in #1 and the black is in L
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
Your tester might have a continuity. When you touch 2 prongs of the tester to each other see if you hear the beeping or if it shows somewhere that you have continuity. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The tester measures ohm and voltage for dc and ac.

Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
Let's try this, remove yellow from 3 and put under 2 and tell me how the switch behaves. Thank You
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It does not make any difference. One pull turns the light on and the next turns them off. The next pull turns the fan on and the next pull turns the fan off.
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

I understand this is not an answer you wanted but it looks like you have a wrong switch. the switch that you have works as follows: pull 1: L connects to 1, pull 2: L connects to 2, pull 3 L connects to 3. pull 4 no connection. the switch you need has to do as follows: pull 1: L connects to 1, Pull 2: L connects to 3, Pull 3: L connects to 1 and 3. Pull 3: no connections. Terminal 2 not in use. check this website they have fan parts for almost all brands.

Let me know if yo find the switch you need. Please DO NOT Accept my answer unless you are satisfied with it and/or I solved your problem. My goal is your satisfactory and Positive feedback.

Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

You can bookmark my profile for your future electrical question. That way you could find me easy.