electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

I purchased a new air conditioner 230v/208v volt 250v-15A.

Customer Question

I purchased a new air conditioner 230v/208v volt 250v-15A. However, plug face does not match wall outlet. Wall outlet has two big flat pins and one round pin and is bigger than the air conditioner plug face. Will I able to use a plug adapter or extension cord
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
electrifier :

Are the 2 plug blades vertical on the receptacle? What is the voltage and amperage of the receptacle that you want to use? What type of breaker is it protected by?

Customer:

the 2 plug blades are horizontal. voltage=230v/208v circuit breaker= 250v - 15A.

electrifier :

What is the receptacle? What is the voltage and amperage rating on the receptacle? How are the blade slots located?

Customer:

the new receptacle spec voltage is 230v/208v circuit breaker 250v-15A . The plug blades are horizontal.

Customer:

The ac make is Friedrich, model CP18E30

electrifier :

Do they have the same configuration number? Have you found the configuration number on the plug or the receptacle?

Customer:

I don't have wall outlet AMP,this is a very old house. By the size of the outlet is bigger than the plug.

electrifier :

The plug could be a NEMA 6-15P. The receptacle may be a different amperage, a NEMA 6-30P perhaps. You said the receptacle is larger than the plug.

electrifier :

What size breaker is it connected to?

Customer:

that is correct,the two horizontal slots is bigger.

Customer:

i would not be able to check for the size of the breaker.

electrifier :

Why can't you check the breaker size? Do you have access to the breakers?

Customer:

No I do not

electrifier :

HERE is a configuration chart for plugs.

electrifier :

The code REQUIRES that you have access to your circuit breakers/fuses.

electrifier :

Go down the chart to 3 wire receptacles and look at the 250 volt receptacles at the 15 amp and I suspect this is what the A/C plug looks like. Move 2 columns to the right and that might be what you have now.

electrifier :

What you have in the wall to plug into.

electrifier :

Was this receptacle once used for a clothes dryer?

Customer:

The receptacle was for air conditioner, old ac no longer works which was ancient

Customer:

the NEMA 6-30P looks like the receptacle we have now.

electrifier :

That will be connected to a 30 amp breaker. You must change the breaker to a 15 amp 2 pole breaker and change the receptacle to a 6-15P. Make sure the breaker is off before you try to change it. DO NOT connect the air conditioner to a 30 amp breaker.

electrifier :

I'm glad the configuration chart was helpful to you.

Customer:

Thank you. This information helps.

electrifier :

Do you have a way to get access to your breakers?

Customer:

currently I'm not in house to access the breakers. But this information will help. Thank you.

electrifier :

If anything more comes up return to me and I'll be happy to help additionally. Thank you for coming to Just Answer.

Customer:

Hello, checked the house and it does not have modern circuit breakers but has the old fuse box. Which has 30 amp fuse, should this be replaced with 15 amp fuse? would this be too low?

electrifier :

There are 2 fuses for this receptacle. This is to give it 240 volts. A single fuse is only 120 volts. Change them both to 15 amps and change the receptacle to the 6-15P and you will be all set.