Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

What size breaker is required for this electric range/oven Whirlpool

What size breaker is required for this electric range/oven?
Whirlpool Model #RF315PXEW 0 Seriel #RF4356537
Label also indicates KW@ 120/208 = 8.8 KW and KW@120/240V = 11.7 KW
With all 4 top burners on when the oven element fires up the breaker trips. Is this a range problem or is the breaker too small?

Thank You,
John R
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Can you tell me what size breaker is installed now? The one that keeps tripping.

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:59:59 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Joeseph,

I'm sorry! I thought I had included that in my original question. An oversight. it is 40 amps mfd by Siemens and the panel is 100 amp The supply line for the stove is an older aluminum braided line and appears sized to carry about 60 amps if necessary.

Thank You,

John R

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok then if your wiring is at least #6, then you can simply install a 50amp breaker for this unit. Your new stove will be required to be on a 50amp breaker in order for you to be able to use it.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:34:35 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That doesn't really answer my question. If there is a problem with the stove then the breaker size is not the issue. This is not a new stove and by the model/seriel #'s and the KW specs is there any way to verify the Manufactures specs for required breaker size??
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Based on the KW specs that you gave me, and based on my calculations of those specs your unit requires a 50amp breaker. The reason its tripping the 40amp is because when you turn on all your burners, its overloading the 40amp. That would not happen with a 50amp breaker.

So as long as your wiring is capable of handling 50amps, all you need to so is replace the breaker for the larger size one and you will be fine.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:57:53 PM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor