Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines

I have an old 115V AC motor, Type FZ, Frame 56Y, 1/3 HP, 1725

I have an old 115V AC motor, Type FZ, Frame 56Y, 1/3 HP, 1725 rpm, Phase 1, and it says "use with MDS capacitor." It has three wire, black, white and brown. I want to use it for belt sander. How do I connect the three wire into regular 115V house current?

Is there presently a capacitor attached to the motor?

Is there signs that one used to be attached?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No capacitor attached. A friend gave it to me more than 35 years ago. I suspect this was from an old washing machine.
Well you will need a capacitor. Even with one I cannot be certain of what size it would be (in UF or MFD.) and the definite wiring although I could make a good guess.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

All it says on the motor name plate is:

"Use with 170 MFD Capacitor" and no further description.

I tried it by connecting brown wire to ground wire on house receptable, and it runs OK. However, when I switched off without disconnecting, it had started running at very slow speed. I know it is dangerous so I disconnected it. Could you tell me what kind of capacitor I need and how to connect to wire?

NORMALLY *(No guarantees) a 5 UF 370 volt capacitor connected across white and brown with supply across white and black as normal. Don't accept yet, let me know how it works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir Sparks,

Thanks for info. I will try to buy it somewhere locally if I can find it, and let you know when I try it. Not sure how soon, though. Thanks so much.

Neutral feedback hurts me and is for no reason. I CLEARLY told you not to accept my answer yet! I will not assist you further.

Edited by Sir Sparks on 6/15/2010 at 3:42 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Sir Sarks,

I had tried your suggestion, and it worked, then found another major problem of damaged wiring due to much too old and heavily used motor. No way to save motor, and I sent it to recycle. Thanks for your advise and local repair shop appraisedyour replay, as it worked. Thanks so much.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Just answer and ask them to remove the neutral feedback as you are now happy with my correct answer,