Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

I am to be wiring a Woods Indoor/Outdoor Time Switch Multi

I am to be wiring a Woods Indoor/Outdoor Time Switch "Multi Volt" (model 59396/59399) $30 to automatically turn on detached garage light. The light only has white and black wires. The junction box has the white, black and ground. The timer switch makes no mention of which terminals the wires are supposed to be connected to (from junction box to timer and from the timer to the light). I assume the garage is 120V and the timer directions tell me that all 4 jumpers must be installed (J1, J2, J3, J4). I see both the terminal 5 choices in order from left to right (Timer, Timer, NC, NO, COM). Please help!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

Hello .. the two timer terminals are for power to the internal timer , The other terminals are for the switching of the light

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Rich, this helps, thanks! How do I connect a single wire from the 1st timer to the common. Do I strip a single black wire out for use?
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

That depends on the terminal connector .. if there is a place for two wires then use a jumper .. or strip the black wire near the end , and attach to the common .. and the strip a space to attach it to the timer terminal ..

Thoughts?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not familiar with the use of jumpers. How do I use a jumper? The terminals are the kinds with screw down connectors and would seem to accept several cables. Sorry for the electricity 101!
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

Jumper is just a term for a short piece of wire that connects two terminals on a piece of equipment .. Sorry

So just use a short wire to connect the two terminals ..

Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain