Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

Hunter ceiling fan #21978-300 1. Speed switch stopped working

Hunter ceiling fan #21978-300:
1. Speed switch stopped working properly (worked on one setting only -- not sure if it was high or medium).
2. Opened the fan up -- 5mF capacitor severely warped.
3. Replaced capacitor; installed 3-wire switch (oops -- supposed to be 4-wire); when done, the fan worked fine with two speeds for a while.
4. Now smells like something way overheating -- probably the capacitor again. I need a new 4-wire switch and fresh capacitor.
5. Where can I get get or order the switch (I believe it's p/n 63784-01-000)? Hardware store didn't have one. They DO have capacitors, however.
6. When I do get the switch, how do I know which wires go where -- is a wiring diagram available for this model?
Thank you so much.
Ken Knudson [email protected]
Hi Ken. Here's a link to a site that will be a perfect resource for ordering your parts:

They also tell you how to identify which wires to connect to the 4 terminals on the new switch. If they are unable to help you with that part of the question, simply reply to this thread and I'll tell you the method I use. It's rather wordy, and I thought you may find it easier to speak by phone to the folks at the site I posted here.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Your answer was excellent -- I contacted the site you provided and got the replacement electricals I think I need. I'll be installing them tomorrow or Sunday. As soon as I feel the breeze from the fan at all three speeds I'll happily accept your answer! --Ken Knudson

Hi Ken. Thanks for the followup. If you have any trouble installing the new parts, please let me know. I have a bit of a busy day tomorrow, but if you send a reply when I am offline, I will find it as soon as I log on. I am happy to provide any necessary additional assistance.

Have a great night.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Geez, you really pay attention to your customers! I haven't fixed the fan yet but just based on your customer service I'm accepting your answer. The parts you directed me to appear to be OEM and it looks like an easy fix so if I botch the job it's my own darn fault. Thanks for the service! --Ken

PS: really ought to advertise or something -- great service for DIY'ers. Have a swell weekend!

Good morning Ken. I wish all of my customers shared your mindset. Thanks so much for accepting my answer, and for your kind words. I'm glad you like the site. Please spread the word about us. We are not limited to Home Improvement experts. We also have doctors, attorneys, etc. There aren't many questions that can't be answered here.

I just got your feedback, thanks again. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Jason,

Just a quick followup: I'm sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee with a cool breeze overhead -- thanks again for your most excellent help with the ceiling fan!

I'm happy to hear that. Isn't it satisfying to solve your own home improvement issues? I only pay for someone to come to my house when I absolutely have to. If you should need us in the future, we'll be here. If you get a chance, please explore JustAnswer thoroughly. You may be surprised at the wide range of experts here. We are not limited to home improvement experts. We also have certified physicians, attorneys, veterinarians, auto mechanics, etc.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!