Paul
Paul, Electrician
Experience:  23 yrs as an electrician, self employed contractor, municipal inspector
5447110

What nec code reflects on a adjustable frequency ac drive under

What nec code reflects on a adjustable frequency ac drive under 600 volt in a air control cool room as far as entering the room (personal)i am in michigan
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Could you be a little more specific in what you need?

There is not a specific article that covers VFD's.

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The question is can anbody enter the room or is it considered for qualifyed personal only dew to the drive cabinet.

The drive input is 575volt 1800 amp it is supplyed by inclosed bussbar threw the ceiling there is also 2 other controls panel at 480 volt 200 amps each all panel are totaly inclosed the 2 controls panels are hoffman does this room need to be locked and labeled authorized personal only and code would reflect on this Thank you.

Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.
Are there any other electrical panels in the room? In other words, does the room qualify as an electrical room?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The room houses main motor drive and controls panels for a large rubber mixing process machine the purpose of this room is to keep control and drives cool and clean of dust chemicals the room is air tempature controlled.

There is 1 other wall disconnet for central dust collection system it is 100 amp 480 volt

Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.

If all of the equipment is "dead front" there is no requirement to lock it. Being that there are electrical controls I would advise it to be labeled but this would not be an NEC requirement.

Most labeling and locking requirements are OSHA stipulated.

Paul

Paul, Electrician
Experience: 23 yrs as an electrician, self employed contractor, municipal inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you advise me on what MIOSHA rules or NFPA70Ewould affect this room.
Expert:  Paul replied 4 years ago.

I am going to send you over to Electrifier as he is a Michigan inspector. I do not have access to any MIOSHA documents.

Please be patient he may be a few minutes.

Paul

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you and can you email me what we have come with so far for my file please send to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Thanks again
Expert:  electrifier replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, we can not contact you directly so your e-mail was X'd out. Sorry, it's how the system works.
Where are you located in Mi?
Have you discussed this with your local inspector?
This might take a little bit of effort but we'll get to the answer for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
north detroit and have not talked to inspector yet
Can you give me a drawing showing the locations of the drive and electrical enclosures with dimensions to the entry doors to the room so I may see the door locations in relation to the spaces in front of the drive and any electrical enclosures? This is how the NEC deals with the doors and latching devices on these doors.