Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

why would my 220 volt pool pump motor start turning backwards

Customer Question

why would my 220 volt pool pump motor start turning backwards thereby rendering the impeller useless
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
Hello, is it a three phase pump? Please tell me little more about your pump set up. Manufacturer? Model number? Nameplate rating please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O A smith pump, 115/230v, 60 hz, 1PH 1.1kw. 1 1/2 hp
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
At the connection to the pump how many screw terminals do you have? Or how many wires. Are coming out of it? Please tell me the colors also? Some of the single phase motors have an option to hook up to reverse the run. What breaker do you have for it, 2 pole?

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 4/10/2010 at 1:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3 screw terminals, 3 wires, 2 same color one green, how do I know how if its one or pole cb.
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
The 2 pole breaker is 2 single breakers joined with the bridge on the toggle. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 pole breaker
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
If the motor does not have a reverse switch which is possibility than please shut the breaker of and try to switch the wire that are spliced to motor wires. Please ket me know if that works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
switches wires, there is no reverse switch. still turns wrong way
Expert:  Alex replied 4 years ago.
I have to op tout from this question. I'm not by computer right now and I can not find the schematics with my smart phone. The other expert will be able to help you. Please do not accept any of my answers I have given. I apologize for inconvenience.

Alex
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

Hello .. it is very strange that a 220volt single phase motor would be turning "backwards" as you say .. specially a new one right out of the box ... how is it that you have observed this ?/

the way that most 220 volt motors are reversed is in the wiring compartment there is a couple wires , usually marked T5 and T6, or T8 ,, if they are there and you swap them , that will change the rotation of the motor ..

But I would look again and make certain that the motor is indeed turning the wrong way ..

Any thoughts, concerns

Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

Can you take a picture of the end of the motor with the impeller attached .. and another picture of the pump housing so I can see how the two pieces are related ?? you can post them here using the symbol above

and tell me what direction the motor is turning when looking at it from the shaft end .. CW or CCW ?? Thanks .. Rich