Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

i am connecting an electric 240v water heater. the 2 wires

Customer Question

i am connecting an electric 240v water heater. the 2 wires from the house circuit are black and white. the 2 wires from the heater are black and red. (plus ground obviously). i presume the black connects to the black and the white to the red. is this correct?
being 240, both are hot so it may not matter.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

- Can you explain your situation a little more?

Is the existing wiring already connected to the breaker? If so tell me how its wired. Also can tell me what size breaker and what size wire you have installed?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Friday, April 09, 2010 7:25:57 PM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
30 amp breaker; #12 wire; white wire and black wire go to circuit; white wire does not go to neutral post. let me point out that i am replacing an existing heater and the house black wire was connected to the heater red wire and the house white wire was connected to the heater black wire. i thought this was odd. why not black to black?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am willing to reply but i don't know what you want to know.
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay - now the reason its done this way is because you only need two hots and a ground. Since you do not need a neutral with this kind of setup, the white will become your other hot. So all you need to do is hook up black to black, white to red and ground to the green terminal and you will be good to go.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Friday, April 09, 2010 8:27:11 PM
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Friday, April 09, 2010 8:48:15 PM