Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

my kitchen ceiling lights dim when i turn my mircowave on

my kitchen ceiling lights dim when i turn my mircowave on . Its a brand new microwave . Is there to much activity on once circut and if so what needs to be done to corect the situation ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.
Hello .. is this microwavee replacing an existing one. ..?/ what has changed in this area , if anything ??

Edited by Rich on 4/7/2010 at 6:06 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The previous micro wave was a counter top version and ran off a differnt outlet in the kitchen . I had the kitchen remodeled and had a over the stove microwave installed . . it is in a different part of the kitchen and Im assumng running off a diferent circit .

It appreas the micro is now tied in to the same line as the over heads as this never happended with th old mirco ws in use ( which was much older larger and drew more enegry then the new one )

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Yes .. is the range gas or electric?

It appears that the microwave outlet was wired to the lights .. and pushing the circuit toward it's limit .. If there are no loose connections then I would sat the only way to remedy this would be to rewire the outlet ..

any thoughts, concerns?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The stove is also electric. when you say 'rewire the outlet " do you mean run the wire from the mirco to a differnt out let or run the wire fom the mirco wave directly to the master electrical panel in the basement ?

What would be a ballpark cost to have an electrician run the wire to another outl 5 feet away ?

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Well .. I meant that the outlet could be wired to a counter top circuit or better to an appliance circuit like the fridge or dish washer ..

The cost depends on the accessibility of those circuits .. if there is a junction in the basement, or if there is a way to get to the washer circuit or under the sink to the pig circuit .. or up to an overhead crawl space ..and where one might find the wiring for the appliance circuits .. so an estimate is hard to figure .. this could be a full day of work .. the materials would be little cost compared to the labor .. could be $200 to $500 depending on the conditions found ..

Thoughts, concerns?

Edited by Rich on 4/7/2010 at 6:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Understood , the sink is only a few feet from the micro and and has an available outlet to tie into ... that might be the most direct and effective way to go ..

thanks for your help .

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

If that is the outlet for the pig .. make sure there is part of it that is hot all the time , sometimes they are on a switch at the counter top ..

Good Luck

and thanks for the accept ..