Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

What size copper wire do I need for a 100 amp service to a

What size copper wire do I need for a 100 amp service to a manufactured home on a run of 250 feet. ( Range, water heater, a/c & furnace, no dryer) Forgot to add will be in underground conduit 2"
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Typically, we would use #3 copper for a 100 amp service. But 250' is a rather long distance, so you may want to go up to #2. This way, your voltage drop will be decreased significantly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Jason. One more question to your answer. I had checked with local Home Dept store and the clerk asked me when I told him about copper, he qustioned whether that was 2/0 or #2 THNN?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
You need #2, not 2/0, for a 100 amp service (at 250'). 2/0 would be too big for a 100 amp service. 2/0 is rated between 145 and 195 amps, depending on the insulation type. That would be overkill for your installation.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much, I understand and feel really good about your answer. When I priced the 2/0 vs. #2, my heart did a little dance!

Expert:  Jason replied 6 years ago.
You are most welcome. I'm glad I could help. Thank you for accepting my answer. If you find that you need more help, please let me know.