Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

what size wire do i need for an electric range and how many

Customer Question

what size wire do i need for an electric range and how many conductors? what amperage?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

You will need to run a 50amp circuit for a range. It will need to be four conductor, and it will need to be #6 copper. You can pick this up from any home improvement store along with the 4 wire range receptacle needed for this install.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:24:31 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i thought 4o amps was the # XXXXX a range #8/3 wire?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
No, all regular ranges require 50amps and #6 wire.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:32:42 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i got a prposal from an electrian for new house and it states 40 amps 240 for range and30 amp for dryer just curios
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
I believe his proposal is wrong. For a range you would never install a 40amp unless you specificallly were going to buy one with that rating on it. Most standard ranges require 50amps on #6 wire. So you may want to find out how he came up with that spec. Also, it would only cost a couple of dollars more (literally) to run the wire and size breaker I told you about. So you may want to be sure he accurate with what he tells you vs what you are going to have installed. The last thing you want is for all the work to be done, drywall in etc and to have the 50amp range installed. Then you would have to pay him allot of money to come back and change it to what it should be. And believe me they will sock it to you in a change order. So get that straightened out now.

As for dryer - what he stated is correct. 30amps on a 10ga wire.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:45:15 AM