Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

I am wiring a 3 phase GE magnetic starter with a 120v coil Do

Customer Question

I am wiring a 3 phase GE magnetic starter with a 120v coil
Do I need to bring a seperate circut for the control/coil?

Previously was run from LI to pressure switch, Then from pressure switch to one side of the coil. L2 to other side of coil which I believe makes it 240v?

Older starter may have been a 240v coil- I did not remove, just have a diagram. But I should be able to make it work with a seperate 120v controll circut?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

- Can you explain your situation a little more?

What is the voltage on your starter now? Your incoming lines?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:44:49 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Incoming Voltage (from Breaker) L1 120v L2 120v L3 220v

Starter runs a 7.5 hp pump

starter controlled by a pressure switch (2 wire)

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
So you have a three phase system with a high leg. How many wires are coming from the power supply, do you have a neutral or is it just a grounding wire?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:01:17 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No neutral or ground to starter, starter box is bonded to circut breaker box. Just the 3 wires. This is what confused me- I was told it that the original was a 120v coil- but in the diagram inside the box it shows the coil being fed from L1 on one side, and L2 on the other (pressure switch in between).

I would like to make the 120v coil work- a long drive back to the Electrical store!

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
How close is your breaker box to the contactor? Are you able to pull a neutral through the conduit to the contactor?

Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:11:01 PM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, only about 6" away
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok then there is your solution. Run a neutral wire from the main panel through the conduit and terminate that to one side of the coil. Then take the wire from L1 and run it to the pressure switch, then from the load side of the pressure switch back to the coil. Does this make sense to you?

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press theACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:14:27 PM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it does, Thanks much- I will try it first thing in the morning!

Great fast service, I will use you again. I am a rancher in CA, and do allot of my own electrical work. Have worked beside professional electricians, so not clueless, but need occasional help, especially with controll circuts.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:23:32 PM