Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Im installing a new power pole with a 200 amp panel for my

I'm installing a new power pole with a 200 amp panel for my mobile home.
The pole is round so can I mount a board then mount panel to it ?
I don't understand the grounding.
Ground from meter pan to rods but what abt. the pole mounted panel (main disconnect) and my indoor panel ?
The service wire going to my inside panel (abt. 12 ft. length and run in plastic conduit) should be 2/0 or 3/0 ?
I'm located in Florida and the inspector said they go by the NEC code.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

What part of florida? Is the inside panel going to be a 200amp as well? Or is it a 100amp?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:12:59 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The indoor panel is a new 200 amp.

I'm located in pasco county, Fl.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok been there many many times, I live in Orlando - Now what you need to do is this:

When mounting the panel to the pole, you need to kind of square it out. What I mean by this is that you should fasten (2) 2x6's the length of the panel on the sides of the pole. What this will do is bring the edges of the 2x6 out to be level with the curve of the pole. Then when you mount the panel to this, it will sit flush and rather solid. For a home owner such as yourself this will be the best way to go about doing this.

Now from the meter into the panel you will simply run three wires down into the panel. The panel is what will ground to the two grounding rods. From the main panel to the panel inside the mobile home, you will run 3/0 copper thhn ( you will need three of those ) One will be marked with blue tape and the other with white tape. This will help you idendify which wire is which. Then for the grounding wire you will run a #4 thhn grounding wire.

Here is a pictoral diagram of how you will want to go about doing this. In your case since you do not have a water meter, ignor that part of the grounding. But you will need to run a grounding wire from the grounding bar in your panel to the chassis of the mobile home.

Picture:

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press theACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:24:02 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I should have told you I'm using a seperate meter pan that will be mounted above the 200 amp panel/disconnect.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok - will not make any difference. You will mount the meter base the same as the panel, fastening 2x6's on the side of the panel to accomodiate the meter mounting to the pole. Then you come out of the bottom of that with a 2" conduit or chase nipple into the panel. All will be wired up like I state above and show in the picture.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:42:12 AM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:48:37 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your explanation and diagram is great but you raised another question.

You stated I need to run 3/0 cu from my outdoor disconnect (panel) to my indoor panel.

I had thought for residence I could step down to 2/0 cu.

If indeed I have to use 3/0 cu what size AL should be run from the weatherhead to the meter pan ?

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
You can use copper for your mast service as well. If you use copper you will use 3/0 for the two hot feeds and 1/0 for the neutral. If you use aluminum, you will use 4/0 for the two hot feeds and 2/0 for the neutral.

Same thing for your feeds from the main disconnect to the panel. 3/0 for copper with a #4 grounding wire. Or if you use aluminum, it will be 4/0 with a #4 ground.

Monday, February 22, 2010 1:46:44 PM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor