Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

My hard-wired smoke alarm system goes off with a shrill loud

Customer Question

My hard-wired smoke alarm system goes off with a shrill loud sound in the entire house when there is no smoke or fire. I had to remove all the batteries to get it to shut off. How do I disconnect the electric part of the system and just use the smoke alarms operated by battery only? Do I have to call an electrician to do this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

These are interconnected smoke detectors correct?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:44:00 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the smoke detectors are interconnected which is why I had to remove all the batteries from them to get the shrill noise to stop.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok - this means that you have a bad detector. That is why it goes off like this. You need to put the batteries back in one at a time, waiting about 1 minute between battery installs to see if it goes off. If when you put the battery back in, the unit goes off right away - that is your bad detector and you simply need to just replace it.

The other issue which you will want to do first is replace all the batteries with new ones. Sometimes when you have a bad battery it will trigger the detector as well.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press theACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:56:07 AM
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response, I accept your reply, but I still want to get rid of the hard wired system...I prefer just the smoke alarms with the batteries...to disconnect the hard wiring from it. So I guess I will need an electrician to do this?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
I highly highly do not recommend doing this. Hard wired smoke detectors are much more safe then the standard battery powered detectors. However if you want to do this, all you need to do is disconnect the plug tail from the back of the detectors, and they will be disconnected.

Now the other thing you will need to do is turn the breaker off for the detectors. Then just place regular battery powered detectors in the interconnected detectors place.

Again I do not recommend doing this, I highly suggest you simply replace the bad detector.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:09:05 AM
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:15:57 AM