High-Voltage, .
Experience:  .

Why would power go off in half of my house and yet stay on

Why would power go off in half of my house and yet stay on in the rest? Is it possible that the power is illegally ran through too many rooms (some of which are additions to the original blueprints) resulting in frequent surges?

Hi, I will be glad to assist you but first I need to know a few things:

What type of house are you in? Single Family, Condo, Etc.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in a house.
Ok...the reason I asked is because you said when you reset the breaker, your "neighbors room" turns back on as well....Can you explain that a little better to me please?

Edited by High-Voltage on 1/19/2010 at 12:06 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in house full of other student going to USC, So you could basicly call it student housing, but my bedroom has been converted into a studio apartment where as every room is just a reguler room.
So is there only one panel and electric meter for this house? Or is there more than that?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two boxes that seems like circuit breakers. If you would like I can send you a picture of said items.

Ok.. no need for that just yet but let me ask you this....

You said half the house goes out because of one breaker tripping?

If so, what size breaker is it(there should be a number on it)?

Also, do you know if this is a 2-pole breaker(looks like two breakers but have a handle attaching both together)?

Edited by High-Voltage on 1/19/2010 at 12:20 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The one breaker that goes has switches labled top left: bedroom, middle left: nothing, bottom left:nothing, top right: master bedroom/kitched, middle right: master bredroom, bottom right: bathroom

I can't download your pictures for some reason....but this is quite simple to figure out for the most part:

When you mention this breaker...Does it cut power off to all the breakers you mentioned? In other words is it a larger breaker that is tripping and shutting power down to the breakers you mentioned?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot answer that question with certainty but i can tell you the land owner added addition on to the home and I can also tell you that the central lighting stays on and so do many of the appliances in other rooms. My biggest concren and question pertains to wether or not there is a strong possibility that some type of add-ons could be causing the problem.

There are direct links to the photos:
this is the one on the left which i never mess with:

this is the one giving me problems:

Very good photos....thanks....

Can you explain now what you meant when you said

Which one on the right? All the ones on the right?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry for the confusion what I had meant to say was that it's the circuit breaker on the right that keeps giving me trouble and continued requiring me to reset it.

No problem....which one? top, middle, bottom....And if it is the bottom(RED) is it the top or bottom RED...

Also, do you pay an electric bill for this house? If so, does your neighbor pay separate bill?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am 90% certain that the switch for at least my room is the top right switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is imperative for me to find out I can do so, but it will require me shutting my computer off.

So can you tell me if the top right switch is the ONLY one giving you a problem...Or is it the ENTIRE right side?

Also...Do you pay an electric bill...And if so does your neighbor pay a sepate bill?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to shut that switch off and I will reply to you from my e-mail after i figure out exactly what the top right switch does. Utilities are included in every tenants rent. I will be right back and thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seems that the the middle right switch goes to my room and I didn't have time or help to see where else power may or may not have went off so I suppose there is nothing more you can tell me without me being able to find out for sure where the power goes off when I turn each switch off. Just tell me where to sign so you can get paid. You've been helpful in your own way and I ignorantly sought advice without a better game plan. Oh well.

No big deal...I don't want you to pay unless you get a solid answer or advice....

So, here it is:

The line for that breaker is overloading and/or shorting....More likely overload which means too much power is being drawn on that circuit.

1-You need to have someone locate all the recepticles and lights that are tied to this circuit and proceed to troubleshoot.

2-The way to do that is unplug and shut off everything on that line and turn breaker off.

3-Then turn breaker back on as well as the lights on for that circuit.

4-Then plug in small, low power drawing things in.

5-Then plug in the bigger stuff.

6-See what tripps it.

7-Could be a faulty appliance/electrical equipment or simply too much on that line.

*****If it is too much on the line that causes it to trip....You need to tell the landlord to have an electrician come and run a new line for more recepticles and an additional breaker

*****The electrician may also notice something wrong that I can't physically see too.

Take care, Good Luck!

Please click ACCEPT if you are happy with my answer and feel free to leave positive feedback for me-It let's me know how I am doing!!!!

Thanks Again!

Edited by High-Voltage on 1/19/2010 at 1:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any likelihood that it would be cheaper and easier and for my landlord to skip making a secondary line and could that cause any danger?

To be 100% honest with you....

With my experience as an electrician I have seen ALOT of crazy "quickies"...

They ARE potentially unsafe, and if safety is a concern for YOU, your landlord MUST address it appropriately.

The cheapest thing to do, "believe it or not", is have an electrician come in and check it out...Most do FREE estimates.

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE!!!! It is your best bet for safety, time, and possibly money.

Take Care! And please feel free to leave positive feedback for me-it lets me know how I am doing! THANKS!Smile