Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Both buttons on my GFI outlet are stuck and cannot be reset.

Customer Question

Both buttons on my GFI outlet are stuck and cannot be reset. All outlets on that circuit are dead. I reset the circuit breakers for all outlets and still no luck. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer, Can you tell me if you have access to a volt meter or plug tester? If not are you willing and able to get one?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a volt meter. Is a plug tester 2 probes one black one red and a small light on the handle? If so, I have one.

My problem started when I plugged in my phone charger to an outlet (in room adjacent to the kitchen where the GFI is located) which probably had too many things already plugged in.

Now the GFI(in kitchen) and all the outlets in this room are dead.
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Ok well its hard to be specific without a meter, but you have one of two options here. Either your gfci is bad and needs to be replaced, or you have a tripped breaker that needs to be reset. Other then that you will need to get a meter in order to trouble shoot this if the two options I listed do not work.

But first turn your breaker off, then back on again. Then if that does not work, replace the gfci.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What exactly would I do with a meter?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
If the options I gave you dont work, then you will need to check the wiring coming to the gfci to make sure its hot. If you get to that point, let me know and ill walk you through it.