Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Just hooked up Whirlpool electric range with usual 4 prong

Customer Question

Just hooked up Whirlpool electric range with usual 4 prong power supply cable. Older home doesn't have ground cable so hooked up without ground to 40amp circuit containing two hot (red/black), neutral (white).

The oven light works when the door is open or turned on and the glass cook top seems to heat up however the clock and all the features won't display. Is this due to the missing ground, a 50amp breaker being needed or did i get a broken used range? Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me exactly how you wired up the cable to the outlet? If you can explain exactly what you did, I should be able to tell you how to wire it up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

purchased standard 4 cable plug and recepticle. On range, colors to colors and ground underneath the three. On the recepticle, i connected the red to the far left, left the green ground empty, the white neutral on the silver (third from left) and the black on the right connector.

Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Ok for one thing you need to switch this back to a three prong. since your existing wiring is only three prong, that is what it will need to be returned to.

As for the range, you will need to put a three prong appliance cord on that to match your home. Then the white and green wires in the range will both connect to the green grounding wire in the cable. Once you do that - if it still does not work then let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought of doing that but heard wiring the neutral and ground is now against code? I'm looking to sell within the next six months and just trying not to make any more headaches for myself then necessary...

Thanks again

Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Its not against code if the wiring is pre-existing as in your case. It is against code to put a 4 wire receptacle on a 3 wire system. So you will have to put the new stove on a three wire system or run an entirely new cable from the panel to your new stove.