electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

I have a Hampton Bay Windward II ceiling fan..model # 523 342

I have a Hampton Bay Windward II ceiling fan..model # XXXXX 342 or 523 127...
The 9" circuline bulb quit working..(4 years old)...I replaced with a Home Depot recommended 8" circuline bulb..Still does not work...any chance? John
Do you see the ballast for this florescent bulb when you access the bulb?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not sure...unless its the unit that I plug in to the bulb.

There is a 4 wire plug that comes from a black rectangular box like device called a ballast.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This one is 14' up on the ceiling..the box is round and white with the 4 prong wires coming out..could the ballast be underneath this cover?

Yes, if this cover you speak of is the housing of the light fixture. Are you sure the bulb is the right one for the replacement of what you removed? Did you take the old bulb to Home Depot to get the new bulb?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes I did...same place that I bought the fan from...they said that they do not carry (make?) the 9" bulb anymore and that the 8" will work if I can clip in place...

You need to get to the ballast now and make sure the ballast has power to it. Is there a switch for this light on the wall? Is there a pull chain on the light? Are you sure it is turned on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

remote switch has new batteries...fan works....will climb up and double check power...

Ok, you have a remote in the picture as well. Did this remote come as part of the fan or is it added to the fan?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the remote came with the fan and has been the only mode for turning on & off...

I checked for power and it appears not to have any below the fan housing going to the ballast & bulb....

Is there no power on the line side of the ballast? This would be the black and white wires that come from the controller.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no power in the black & white wires into what appears to be the ballast...and no power coming out of it in the wire with the 4 prong plug.

That would indicate the remote receiver to be bad. Let me get a phone number to contact customer service for Hampton Bay. The manufacturer will either entertain a call from you directly or from customer service about your remote. I have had good luck getting parts supplied to repair fans for little or no cost.
Give them a call during business hours EST and I'm sure they will take care of your problem. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you with your fan.
800-553-3199