Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

how many 12-2 wires can i fit into a 4 junc. box i could

Customer Question

how many 12-2 wires can i fit into a 4" junc. box i could not feed power from receptical to receptical. so i had tto ad a junction box toi feed all recepticals
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Are you just putting a blank cover over the box or will it contain any switches or receptacles?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
blank cover power comes into junc. box then i will feed all recep.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
What kind of junction box is this (plastic or metal)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

plastic

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Take a look on back of the box (inside) and see what the number of #12 conductors are allowed. It's hard to see, but it should be there on the back of the box (should list number of #10, #12, and #14 conductors) and then I'll help you figure out how many 12/2 cables can go in the box.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok give me a min.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there is no info on coductors its a carlon box it states 20 in3 vol pvc 2-hr-w ul certified

and the sizes of knockouts

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

please help i am trying to wire 5 recepticals but can not feed from receptical to receptical so i am feeding it into a junction box (plastic) with blank cover. the box does not state conductores so how many can i feed from this box

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Hi, lets start from the beginning. Your feeding power to outlets from a J-box correct? Tell me exactly what it is you need to know?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

correcxt how many wires can i feed into the box i believe ground counts as 1 neautral as1 and hot count indavidualy so 6 total

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok look in the box, it should say what the cubic inch space is. It may look like 20cu or something to that affect. Then tell me what size wire your using.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

12-2 20in3 vol

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Is it 20 or 20.3?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

20

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok you can put 8 #12 wires in it. So all your grounding wires collectively will count as 1. So in reality that means you can put up to 7 more in the box. So that means you can put 3 12ga cables in the junction box.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok i thought neutral also counted for 1

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
No it does not because its a current carrying conductor.