Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines

i have lost one phase of my 220v power to the house. phase

i have lost one phase of my 220v power to the house. phase 1 to ground coming in 120v; phase 2 to ground 120v but across phase 1 & 2 nothing. Is it the power coming in? or is it a faulty breaker?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 6 years ago.
What type of tester are you using?
Also are you measuring before or after the main breaker?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
radio shack digital multimeter
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
before the main breaker with the breaker in the off position
OK You are reading 120 volt to neutral or ground on the "defective" hot but is it correct that none of the single breakers on that bus are working? what happens if you leave these breakers switched on, does the 120 volt then disappear ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no matter what combination of breakers Main or Feeds, there is no power to the second bus.

with feed breakers and main breaker on it reads 120 to ground one leg and 0v to ground other leg. and 120 between the two power leads coming in

with main breaker on and feed breakers off there is no power bus but main breaker input reads 120 v from phase to phase coming in.

no comination of breaker will indicate 220v between the incoming power leads

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the utility company does not believe that it is a feed problem

shouldn't there be 220v from phase to phase coming from the utility regardless of what is going on inside the house if that feed breaker is in the off position??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did i lose you??
Yes your service is defective ahead (before) the panel providing you are measuring BEFORE the main panel breaker. If there is no sign of burning on these connections to the main then the fault is at the meter or weather head if overhead or at a main outside disconnect if you have one. Please tell me what you have!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you
You are most welcome, please click on the "accept" button, you have already paid but this is how I now get paid. Merry Christmas.