Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

how do i install a 220 volt, 3 phase breaker, and run wiring

Customer Question

how do i install a 220 volt, 3 phase breaker, and run wiring and
outlet (4prong) to commercial dryer ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Will you be running the wiring externally, or within the walls?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in conduit, it is in my business, all exposed conduit. it is for a commercial clothes dryer
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok what is the amperage of the dryer, and how far away is it from the panel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am not at work right now, but the info on dryer said 7.7 amp and it requires a

15 amp breaker. The dryer is about 30 feet from panel, the panel is only a few

years old and is over sized for plenty of equipment.

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok for one you will need a three phase 15 amp breaker. Or a three pole 15amp breaker. They are the same thing but some parts of the country call them a slightly different name.

Next you will want to install 1/2" EMT or sch 40 pvc from the panel to your dryers location. Then you will want to get four separate runs of #12 thhn either solid or stranded (red / black / blue / green). If your install requires a fifth wire for the neutral then in addition to what I told you, you will want one more run for the white wire. But that is only if it requires a neutral.

Then in the panel you will connect your three phase wires to the breaker starting from the top down red / black / blue - then terminate your white (if needed) to the neutral bar and your green wire to the grounding bar in the panel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I failed to mention the dryer has a plug (male) already on it, so can you tell

me about wiring the receptacle for that ? The plug in has 4 prongs

Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok you wont need a neutral then, just the thee phases and a grounding wire. Now you will need to get a three phase 4 wire receptacle. Then on that receptacle you will see three gold terminals and one green. Terminate the three phase wires to L1 L2 and L3 and the green wire to the grounding wire.

Then briefly test the dryer to make sure its running in the correct direction. If its not, then just switch L1 and L3 to change the direction of the motor.