Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

Need a wiring diagram for a 4-way lighting circuit(1 4-way

Need a wiring diagram for a 4-way lighting circuit(1 4-way switch, 2 3-way switchs) with the power source at the 4-way switch, and the wire to the light at a 3-way switch.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Is there a reason the power supply is at the 4 way? Is it possible for you to move the source to one of your three way switches?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
UNFORTUNATELY, NOT VERY EASILY. THE WIRING IS ALREADY IN PLACE, THE WALLS ALREADY DRYWALLED. WE HAVE LIVED IN THE HOUSE FOR SEVERAL YEARS, AND THE 4-WAY CIRCUIT FOR THE FOYER NEVER WORKED RIGHT; AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO FIX THE PROBLEM. CENTER FOYER LIGHT, 1X3-WAY SWITCH AT FRONT DOOR, 1x 4-WAY SWITCH IN REAR HALLWAY, 1x 3-WAY SWITCH IN UPSTAIRS LANDING. I'VE DONE MINOR WIRING BEFORE, BUT THIS HAS ME STUMPED.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
How do you know the power supply comes into the four way? Do you have a meter? You also stated this never worked right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAVE A METER. I CUT POWER, DISCONNECTED ALL WIRES FROM 3-WAY & 4-WAY SWITCHES, TURNED POWER BACK ON, TESTED EACH WIRE AGAINST GROUND. ONLY WIRE WITH POWER WAS BLACK INCOMING WIRE AT 4-WAY ONLY.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok how many wires are in that box and what colors are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2 INCOMING ROMEX, 1x 2-WIRE, 1x3WIRE. ALL GROUNDS WIRED TOGETHER, ALL WHITES WIRED TOGETHER. 1 RED TRAVELER TO UPSTAIRS 3-WAY BOX9CONFIRMED BY TEST); 1 RED TRAVELER TO FRONT FOYER 3-WAY BOX(CONFIRMED BY TEST); 1 BLACK POWER LINE; 1 BLACK TO UNKNOWN LOCATION.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
You know from what you describe, it sounds like the switches may have been put in the wrong places. The wiring you describe in the first box should be a three way not a four way.

Now can you go to the rest of your box locations and tell me how many wires you have in each of those?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FRONT FOYER BOX: 2 BLACK TO UNKNOWN

1 RED TRAVELER TO XXXXX 4-WAY BOX

UPSTAIRS FOYER BOX: 2 BLACK TO UNKNOWN(1 PROBABLY GOES TO LIGHT

1 RED TRAVELER TO REAR 4-WAY

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
I just need to know how many wires are in each box, and what colors they are. For example here is what you said for the first box. 2 cables. one cable has black / white the second cable has red/black/white. If you can just give me the info on the other boxes in the same format I can see the run more clearly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

UPSTAIRS FOYER, 3-WAY SWITCH: BLACK/BLACK/RED

DOWNSTAIRS FRONT FOYER, 3 -WAY SWITCH: BLACK/BLACK/RED

DOWNSTAIRS REAR FOYER, 4-WAY SWITCH: BLACK/BLACK/RED/RED

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
So you only have two three ways and one four way for a total of three switches?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok in that case it does not sound like the power supply is in the 4 way box. Look over this diagram of a three/way four/way circuit and hook it up like I show in the diagram.

http://senduit.com/ff15bc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND. ALL WIRES HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE SWITCHES. THE ONLY WIRE THAT IS HOT IN ANY OF THE BOXES IS ONE OF THE BLACK WIRES IN THE 4-WAY BOX. YOUR DIAGRAM SHOWS THE HOT WIRE ORIGINATING IN ONE OF THE 3-WAY BOXES.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Right but from what you describe, the power cant be in the four way. And if it is, then the original wiring was run wrong and it wont work no matter what I tell you unless its rewired.

Try hooking it up the way I show in my diagram. But if that does not work you may end up having to rewire this to fix it.
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I WILL TRY HOOKING IT UP THE WAY YOU'VE INDICATED , BUT IT WILL NOT BE UNTIL THE MORNING WHEN THE LIGHT IS BETTER. I'LL LET YOU WHAT HAPPENS. THANK YOU !!
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
No problem.... Let me know ill be here. Good Luck!!