Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

I have a stabiloy (R) AA-8030 AL Type SE 600V 3 CDRS 2 AWG

I have a stabiloy (R) AA-8030 AL Type SE 600V 3 CDRS 2 AWG wire that used to service a 100 amp circuit box and I want to use this to service a circuit box in a detached garage 500 feet away from house. What wire should I use?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 7 years ago.
I don'tunderstand, this IS a "wire" What do you need to know?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to know what kind of wire I should use from the house to the detached garage where I have already istalled a 100 amp service box. The wire needs to be a direct burial wire. The wire that I mentioned was used to back feed the circuit box of the original house after the service wire was relocated. Know I want to use this wire to feed 100 amp service to the detached garage with a diconnect at the spot where it was cut because the original house has been demolished.
Hi, If you were to continue your run with the same sized wire for the full 500 feet it would only be good for 45 amps to stay within the recommended 3% voltage drop. Also if this garage service is a sub-panel to a main panel then the wire will need to be four conductor. Working out sizes for a run with different sized wires is difficult but with the existing wire being used I doubt you could obtain 100 amps.