Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Hello, I am wiring a steam generator in our bathroom shower.

I am wiring a steam generator in our bathroom shower. It will require 30 amp 250 volt service. Do I need to wire this with a GFCI breaker? Do I need to have a safety diconnect near the unit or can I wire direct? The unit does not recommend a GFCI because it will cause nuisance trips. What is required by code?

Thank you,

Where is your steam generator located in relation to the sink/shower?

Edited by Mike Pettinato on 11/23/2009 at 12:48 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The unit is located in a closet at the opposite end of the shower stall from where the shower plumbing and sink are located.

There is nothing in the NEC that would require that your steam generator be operated from a GFCI breaker. If the manufacturer documentation also does NOT require this, there is no reason to install one.

You do need a disconnect located in the closet to disconnect power to the steam generator should it need to be serviced. Code requires a disconnect within line of sight here. You can get a basic pull-out 30 amp non-fused disconnect from Home Depot or Lowes for less than $20.

You should also have a light in this closest if the adjacent bathroom lights do not adequately light the closet enough to service the steam generator, if you want to meet code.

Edited by Mike Pettinato on 11/23/2009 at 12:58 AM EST