Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

ceiling lights not working in every room of the house...replaced

ceiling lights not working in every room of the house...replaced breaker @ panel...lights still not working....could it be the wiring in the attic...please help ? thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Since it is all of the lights in the entire house, I suspect more than one circuit is affected. Do you have a multimeter for troubleshooting purposes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no.... but i can go buy one.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, I think you will need to. There is a slight chance we could resolve the problem without a meter, but having a meter will make the troubleshooting much simpler. I have seen basic digital volt/ohm meters at the home stores in the $20 range. If possible, be sure to get a digital model, not an analog. The digital meters are much easier to work with.

I will be Online for about the next 2 hours or so. If you can't get a meter before then, and you already know that, just let me know and I will be more than happy to hand this question off to another expert who will be here when you return.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MR. Jason i have a multimeter now.....
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Good. Please remove the cover from your electrical panel. And set the meter to AC volts. Place one probe on the neutral bar and keep it there. Touch the other probe to the screws that attaches the wires to the breakers. Read one breaker at a time. Please post the results here.

By the way, please do not click the accept button until we get the problem solved, or exhaust all efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
jason, all circuits are reading 120...........the breaker i replaced, i had left off, because the lights did not work after putting the new one in....just now i turned the switch on and all the lights came on .....WHAT HAPPENED?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
It's possible the breaker needed to be reset internally - turned all the way off, then back on. It's a bit odd that ALL of your lights are on one circuit, unless your house is on the small side. Looks like you didn't need the meter after all. Keep an eye on that circuit, and if it acts up again, let me know.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.