Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

what could cause a water well pump to trip breakers

Customer Question

what could cause a water well pump to trip breakers?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.
Hello .. does the breaker trip immediately when yopu try to reset it .. or does it run the pump a few minutes first .. ?? this is a pump attached to a pressure tank , not a submersible , right ?? what is the voltage of the pump 220V .. ??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pump is in a well and it is running into a bladder tank and it is a 220V and it seems to kick right away when i flip it back on.at for the main pump i think it is down in the well
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.
OK .. When a breaker trips immediately it is indicating a short in the circuit .. first check the wiring as far as you can toward the pump and see if there is anything unusual .. like disconnect the pump wires from the pressure switch and see if the breaker holds .. .. sorry to say . you may need to pull the pu,mp .. I know what that is like ..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just looked at what i have and it is a submersible pump and it has a presure switch that i replaced last year and was told by someone they dont last long could that cause the breaker to switch?
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.

Yes there is that posibility .. you can prove this out by disconnecting the pump wires from that pressure switch .. just take them off the terminals and then try and reset the breaker .. if the breaker resets and stays on .. then it is beyond the preseure switch .. wnhich would be in the casing or the pump .. oh ya .. you are resetting the breaker by7 pressin g firemly to the off position .. it may click .. and then back to on ,., Right ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that is how i am doing it. The system i am working with is a Franklin Electric box. the system runs from the pump to the franklin box to the pressure switch all electric. when i pull that box apart the breaker dont trip but i connect it back it trips
Expert:  Rich replied 4 years ago.
OK .. but the important ,, the expensive replacement is the pump .. you want to isolate the pump .. have everything connected untill you get to the actual wirdes that go down the shaft to the pump .. that way everything on the surface is connected and functioning .. and then if it trips you know ity is on the surface .. if the breaker resets with just the pump wires disconnected .. and trips when you reconnect them .. then the fault is somewhere down the shaft ..