Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

Yellow light on GFCI outlet. Is it safe to use the outlets?

If a GFCI outlet has tripped and the test light remains yellow and will not reset to green. Is it safe to use the outlets still? Shouldn't the outlets stop working? I used a mini food chopper that stopped working and gave a shock. It seemed to have affected the kitchen and the bathroom GFCI outlets. What should I do?

You need to change out your GFCI as it is defective. Yes it should have stopped working! Additionally it is possible you may have another problem on the downstream receptacle connected to this GFCI but you won't know that for sure until you get a working GFCI.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What is a downstream receptacle? The outlets themselves should have stopped working when I plug in another item like a night light or pencil sharpener? Is this possible problem with downstream receptacle dangerous?

OK the outlet with the yellow light may feed other recpetacles that are not GFCI themselves but are (were in this case) GFCI protected via the defective receptacle. You will be able to tell this immediately if the GFCI when you remove it has 4 wires connected to it's 4 terminals (+ ground). Also with older style GFCI's it was possible to mix up the wires and cause it to fault similar to the way yours has. So it is very iimportant to connect the hot and the white neutral to there terminals marked LINE. and if you do have two more wires then these must go to the terminals marked LOAD. in both cases whites to silver screws blacks (or reds) to brass screw. and yes it could be dangerous now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would the danger be fire or shock or both? So I can get my husband to let me get electrician here.

Normally the risk is "only" shock but if the old GFCI is wired incorrectly (and we are not sure of that) then I have seen them catch fire before. Yours is already faulted so I would recommend changing it out ASAP. Remember that new GFCI's work somewhat differently then the older style so the problem which used to occur with reversed wiring no longer will. Hence they are now safer. Good luck.