Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

Indiana electrical code. Can uf romex wire be installed in

Customer Question

Indiana electrical code. Can uf romex wire be installed in pvc conduit underground? Can this asnwer be validated with the code location.

Thank you,
Tony DePew
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
No you cannot. Your best be is to either run thhn conductors through the conduit (which in reality is much easier to do) or just run UF cable which will allow you to not even have to run PVC to begin with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I agree but where can I find it in the code book?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Look in the section of the code book under NM cable. Then under uses not permitted. I belive its in chapter 3.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did and could not find anything. I really need to have the code number to verify this.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Tell me what exactly you are looking for confirmation on? That you cannot use romex underground in pvc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a disagreement with an employee on whether or not uf romex can be installed underground in pvc conduit. I was always told that uf romex cannot be installed in conduit. That the ratings were not correct on the coating. If I could find it in the code book I would have the proof if I am right. If I can not find it in the code book, I am assumed wrong.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
UF can be installed in PVC but you would have to derate the wire. Now give me a little time and ill find the relevant code for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, great, if you find the code, let me know please.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok 312.5 (C) states you can install NM cable in conduit so long as it not more then 10'. Here is the wording directly out of the code.

(C) Cables. Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured
to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure.
Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall
be permitted to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure
through one or more nonflexible raceways not less
than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in
length, provided all of the following conditions are met:
(a) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.),
measured along the sheath, of the outer end of the raceway.
(b) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure
and does not penetrate a structural ceiling.
(c) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to
protect the cable(s) from abrasion and the fittings remain
accessible after installation.
(d) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end
using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure
through the raceway.
(e) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway
and extends into the enclosure beyond the fitting not
less than 6 mm (1⁄4 in.).
(f) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at
other points in accordance with the applicable article.
(g) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable
cable fill does not exceed that permitted for complete conduit
or tubing systems by Table 1 of Chapter 9 of this Code
and all applicable notes thereto.
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I never asked about nm romex I ansked about uf romex. Sorry this does not answer my question but thank you for your help.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Heres the deal, it does apply to your situation. The reason is that UF cable is still NM cable. Its just rated for underground use. So this code section applies whether it is regular romex, or UF romex. So in reality this is exactly what you need to know in regards XXXXX XXXXX question.