Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599

Hello, I need some help on installing a Dayton model 2X442

Hello, I need some help on installing a Dayton model 2X442 reversing drum switch on an old Atlas lathe I recently purchased. The motor has an Atlas nameplate and is single phase. It is dual voltage but I am going to use 110 volt. The wiring diagram under the motor junction box shows the following:

Low Voltage L1 = Black, Yellow, #1
L2 = Red, Green, #2

High Voltage L1 = Black, #1
L2 = Green
Yellow, Red, #2 connected

To change rotation interchange #1 and #2

Hopefully this is enough info to allow you to determine which motor leads do what. Thank you ever so much.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 7 years ago.
Hi Cobra, I am not sure I can help you but I think I half way understand the details you wrote. The problem is that I think you put some punctuation in the wrong place? Could you please send the details of the inside wiring diagram one more time paying particular attention to the order in which the words were written and the exact punctuation. Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for help, it is sort of a diagram but it shows the following: For low voltage, Black, Yellow, and #1 wires connected to one line in. The Red, Green, and #2 wires are connected to the other line in. For high voltage, Black and #1 connected to one line in. Green connected to the other line in. The Red, Yellow, and #2 wires connected together. It says to reverse direction interchange #1 and #2.

OK good, I think this is fairly simple; you need Low Voltage, and presumably you don't know the direction of the motor yet therefore we can ignore that for now, so: Connect your incoming hot (black) on on one terminal together with the motor wires Black and Yellow and wire marked #1. Next Connect your incoming neutral (white)on the other terminal together with Red and green together with wire #2. This should now be fine unless the direction is wrong in which case you leave everything the same but interchange the #1 and # XXXXX wires (ONLY). Don't forget to connect the ground to the ground screw, and power it through the recommended size breaker.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the response but this is exactly what I said that the motor plate shows. It does not answer my original question on how to hook up the Dayton 2x442 rotary reversing switch so that I can easily go from off to forward or reverse rotation. I provided the motor plate info for both low and high voltage so that someone familiar with a 6 lead motor could determine what each wire does and therefore where it should be connected inside the Dayton switch to allow proper function.
You have never given me any details on the switch. You would need to take the motor wires #1 and #2 as well as two wires one each from terminal #1 and terminal # XXXXX to the controller but without details on the switch I cannot tell you which connections on it. You need to be specific in your requests. I am very familiar with both 6 wire and 12 wire configurations. Good Luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I must apologize, I thought that providing the model # XXXXX the switch (Dayton 2X442) would be sufficient. The switch has 6 terminals. In the OFF mode no contacts are made. In the FORWARD mode terminal #1 contacts #2, terminal #3 contacts #4, and terminal #5 contacts #6. In the REVERSE mode terminal #1 contacts #3, terminal #2 contacts #4, and #5 contacts #6. Hopefully I am finally providing all the information necessary for you to help me. It should be painfully obvious that I am not very electrically inclined.
OK no problem. Now what you need is exactly the same kind of switching action as a residential 4 way switch provides, in other words two incoming hots (travellers) and two outgoing hots (travellers) are connected either directly or crossed over. So in your case connect the the motor terminals #1 and #2 to switch terminal #1 and #3 and the Remaining wires on the screw connectors of the motor to terminals (where you removed wires #1 and #2 from) to switch terminals # XXXXX and #4. You should not need terminals #5 and # XXXXX unless you want to pass the motor black feed through them so if you are switching this motor on and off by another means you will not need this. Otherwise run the black motor feed through #5 and then #6 goes to terminal #1 in the motor. I am not entirely happy that this configuration will allow you to change direction while the motor is still running so please wait until it stops before changing direction.

Edited by Sir Sparks on 10/15/2009 at 7:44 PM EST
I modified my answer a little since you last viewed it so please make sure to re-read it, and by the way your last post was EXACTLY what we as experts need in order to assist you. Well done.

Edited by Sir Sparks on 10/15/2009 at 7:54 PM EST