electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

HOW DO I HOOK UP AN ELECTRIC MOTOR? IT IS A 1 1/2HP 22O-440.

Customer Question

HOW DO I HOOK UP AN ELECTRIC MOTOR? IT IS A 1 1/2HP 22O-440. IT HAS THREE TERMINALS. HOW DO I KNOW WHICH WIRES TO HOOK UP TO WHICH TERMINALS. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS A 110 VOLT MOTOR IF POSIBLE.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

If your motor is 220 440, then you cannot change it to 120v. Your only options are to hook it up for the voltages you see on the motor name plate.

Now can you tell me if the wires are labeled? If so what are the labels? Also is this a three phase or single phase motor?

Please reply back to this post:

• Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
  • Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

**Request me personally on your next question by Clicking Here. Then book mark the page and add me to your "Favorites" list.**
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WIRES ARE NOT LABELED. IT IS A 3 PHASE MOTOR.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.

Ok you still cannot run this on 120v. Now if you are able to see any numbers on the wires, let me know what they are and how many leads you have. Then I can tell you how towire this up for 220v. or rather 208v.

Please reply back to this post:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SINCE THIS CANNOT BE HOOKED UP TO 120V, I'M GOING TO TRY TO USE A CLOTHES DRYER CORD. IT IS VERY HEAVY AND I HOPE I CAN USE THE BIG THREE PRONG OUTLET THAT I USE FOR THE DRYER. THE MOTOR IS BRAND NEW. I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT WIRES GO ON WHAT TERMINALS.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.

You cannot use this on your choths dryer outlet either. Your cloths dryer is a single phase load and you stated your motor is three phase. So again you cannot hook it up like this.

The only way for you to do this is to purchase a converter to go from 220v to three phase 208. But they are very expensive. So you may just want to return the motor and get a new one.

Please reply back to this post:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I BELIEVE A 220V IS A 220V. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 22OV SINGLE PHASE OUTLET AND A 220 THREE PHASE OUTLET?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.

Well for one there is no such thing as a 220v three phase - its eitherr 208 three phase or its a 220v single phase. The big difference is that with three phase you have three hot leads 120degrees out of phase with eachother, and with single phase 220v you have two hot leads 180 degrees out of phase with eachother.

So if your motor is three phase and you hook up single phase 220v to it, you will ruin the motor.

Please reply back to this post:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK,HOW CAN I HOOK UP AN OUTLET THAT IS 208V THREE PHASE/
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.

Do you know what kind of electrical service you have? Is this in a commercial setting or a residential setting?

Please reply back to this post:

• Please reply to this Info-Request ASAP!!

• This will ensure prompt action on my part to give you the quickest response possible
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction is my goal for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RESIDENTIAL.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.

Ok you are not going to get three phase from a residential electrical service. The only way to do this is to buy a three phase converter. But before doing that - you need to be able to read what numbers are on each wire, and you need the amp rating on the name plate of the motor.

Please reply back to this post:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THERE ARE NO NUMBERS ON THE WIRES. THE AMP RATING IS NOT ON THE NAME PLATE. WHAT ABOUT THIS VOLTAGE CHANGE DEVICE?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Im sorry but without the information on the motor - I cannot help you further. Ill opt out and let someone else take over.
Expert:  electrifier replied 4 years ago.
It is cheaper to buy a new motor than to convert single phase to 3 phase. A rotophase is quite expensive. Get a different motor, one rated for 120 volts. You will find that a 120 volt motor at 1 1/2 Hp will take a lot of current to run. You might be better off to wire it for 240 volts. This will reduce the amps by 1/2 and balance the draw on your electrical service.