Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.

What causes my dryer to shock when touched

What causes my dryer to shock when touched?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer You need to make sure the casing or housing (frame) of the dryer is grounded. If you can tell me whether the dryer has 3 or 4 wires in the cord, I can tell you how to properly connect the wires at the dryer to make sure the dryer is grounded.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are three wires on the electrical cord connecting to the dryer, which are presently all securely fastened.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Please view this picture and note how the bonding strap (or grounding strap) ties in with the neutral wire. The strap in turn grounds the frame of the dryer.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the center wire connection just now. It is, indeed, a ground, but I only see one green ground wire to the left of my three connections that is fastened to the body of the dryer. I don't see a strap at all as your photos shows. Are all three prongs cords for dryers supposed to have a strap in the middle?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Various manufacturers do things differently. The green wire that you see, is it coming from inside the dryer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is a green insulated wite with a thin yelloish stripe and that wire is part of the internal wire harness inside the dryer. They have it fastened to the body just left of the three-prong electrical cord.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. At this point, I would make a jumper (using green wire if you have a piece available) to connect to the center post at one end, and add it to the screw with the factory green wire at the other end. Basically, you would be making your own bonding strap by doing this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jason, I really appreciate the information. I will do that now. It baffles me with his dryer that all of a sudden, after several years of use, that the ground became a problem. I will follow through with the last instruction and, again, I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome. In light of your last post, that you have never had a problem with this dryer until now, I cannot guarantee the jumper will stop the problem. Considering that this is a new issue, that is cause for me to speculate a problem within the dryer. It's possible the internal green wire is already bonded to the center post by some unseen means.

If the addition of the jumper does not solve the problem, then I suspect the issue is deeper inside the unit, such as a connection that has come apart, potentially at the other end of the internal green/yellow wire.

Please don't hesitate to reply with any necessary followup questions. Thank you.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.