Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor

How do I connect a gfci outlet to a single pole light switch

Customer Question

How do I connect a gfci outlet to a single pole light switch? The power source is directly from the panel box.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok all you need to do is run the power to the switch. Then at the switch connect your power supply black to the bottom terminal. Then take the black wire going to the outlet and connect that to the top terminal. Connect your white wires directly to eachother, then connect your grounding wires directly to eachother and to the green terminal on the switch.

At the gfci, you install the black wire to the gold terminal on the line side. Connect the white wire to the silver terminal line side and connect the copper grounding wire to the green terminal. You do all of that and your good to go.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have a strip of tape across the bottom of the gfci. It seems it was not used in the original installation.
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
No you do not use that - that is for down stream outlets that need to be protected by the gfci. That strip of tape underneath is labeled load. You only want to use the Line side in this install.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am confused. I understand that you are using the power wire to connect to the bottom of the light switch and the light wire to connect to the top of the switch. The two white wires are connected with a maret and the grounds are connected to the green screw. Where does the short wire come in. Am I connecting one of the short wires to the switch. In which case, where does the light wiring come in?
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok apparently you added information to your original post after I responded and I did not see it. So your saying that the switch and outlet are in the same box, and the switch controls a light?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Ok here is a diagram, just disregard the wiring coming from the "load" side. But everything else will be relevant.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. This solves the problem and the visual is great.
Expert:  Inactive replied 7 years ago.
Good deal... if you need further assistance please be sure to let me know. Have a great night.