Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I am trying wire a Lithonia Lighting product number TH A14

Customer Question

I am trying wire a Lithonia Lighting product number TH A14 220Volt light that has four wires (yellow, white, red, black + ground) to a three way set of switches. I am using 14 gauge wire on a 220V/20 amp circuit. I am not clear on how the wiring of the lights should be connected since they all have transformers on them and may not be what I consider a somewhat "standard" three way switch setup. Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Im a little confused - your hooking up a 220v light to a 120v three way circuit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will be a 220v circuit completely since all the lights in the system are 220v.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
explain to me how you are wiring the three way circuit.... Im still unclear as to how your wiring this up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am wiring it as you would a 120v three way except with 220v since that is the requirement for the lighting. I need to know how the light wiring needs to be connected since there are four wires (yellow, black, red and white with a ground) and I can't find any instructions. The 220v circuit is carried on 14/3 wire with a 20 amp breaker.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok you have quite a few problems with this install. For one you cannot put 14ga wire on a 20amp breaker. It needs to be on a 15amp breaker. Next you cannot break one leg of the 220v in order to control 220v lighting.

What you need to do is this... You need to install a 220v definate purpose relay, then use one leg of that to run your three way wiring. This will then operate the coil on the relay to trigger your lights. This is done all the time in commercial installs.

Now as for your lights, do your lights have any number or letter indicators on each wire? If so what are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Black wire - Line

Yellow - Common

White / Red - only have a "K" sticker on each with no other notation.

Can you direct me to the information about the "220v definate purpose relay" so I can review this? It appears that I may need to get an electrician involved but I would like the information on the light wiring also. Thanks.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Yes at this point I would highly recommend getting an electrician to do this install. Also I still cannot tell you how to wire the light because its not clear as to what wire does what. Did the light come with a voltage rating on it? Does the unit have a ballast with a voltage rating on it?

What im telling you to buy in terms of the relay is called a "Definate Purpose Contactor"... they can be purchased from any electrical supply house. Then kind you will want is a single phase 2 pole contactor with a 120v coil.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The light is marked on the balast as 220V/2.1 amp. It is the same as the information on this link if that will help. That was also the information provided by the distributor.

http://www.lithonia.com/product/comm.aspx?pt=Indoor+HID&fid=1214

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok if its rated at 220v, then both the line and common wires will get connected to the incoming 220v line. Now again you will need to run a 4 wire system to the contactor so you have a neutral available. Then hook up the 220v line to the contactor, then the lights to the other side of the contactor - then you can run the 120v portion to the switches and hook that up to the coil. Then you will have the control over the lights.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand the line and common wired together but what about the other two wires? Is anything done with them? Also, if you don't mind, let me know where I can read up on the contactor. Can the 14/3 wiring be used in this "system"?
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
How many lights will you be hooking up to this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My plan was three circuits with three lights each for a total of nine.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok if the lights are only 2.1 amps each - you will only need two 15amp 220v circuits. Now again here is the beauty of using the contactors. You have 2 separate circuits to control all nine lights.... because they are being controlled by contactors, you can controll all of them by one set of three way switches.

Here is what the contactor looks like:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5B132

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I understand what you are saying but to be clear (for me) my original idea was to be able to switch on/off three lights at a time or switch all off/on. On a 120v circuit in a house, this would be easy so I would like to duplicate that as best as possible (if possible). This is a shop where I work on my cars as a hobby and my thoughts were I might not want all of the lights on at the same time but then again I probably would need them all on at some time.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Ok - then let me make sure I have this clear..... Are you wanting to control the lights from multiple doors? Meaning you would have 2 or 3 switches for one set... Or do you just need to have 3 switches to control 3 sets of lights from one location?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Control from two different doors (front & rear 80' apart). My original thought was to have three different sets of switches at each door for the three different sets of three lights each. Will your method still work? I can give up the rear set of switches if necessary but would prefer to have them if this is workable.

Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
yes my method will still work. Now I can make you a wiring diagram for this... but you will have to give me until tomorrow to post it. This will be a bit more work then a standard diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would appreciate it greatly if you could provide a wiring diagram. I will probably have a professional complete this but I would like to understand it since this is the first time I have seen something like this. If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks again.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
I have everything that I need. I will post your diagrams tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but before you go can you clear me up on the light wiring? I think you posted most of it but I am still not clear on the exact wiring schematic for them. Thanks again.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
You will have 2 separate 15amp 220v lines running from the panel to a junction box that will house 3 definate purpose contactors. Then from each contactor - there will be wiring out to the three separate sets of lights.

Also from that junction box, you will have two 14-3 wires going down to the switches to control the three contactors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry I wasn't more clear. I would appreciate the wiring for the lights themselves at the balast hookup. This is where the four wire are (yellow, black, red, white).
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
From what you describe in on the ballast - the wiring will hook up directly to the black and yellow wires. All of this will be shown on my wiring diagrams.
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical Contractor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again. I will check my email tomorrow for the wiring diagram.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
No problem. Have a good night.
Expert:  Inactive replied 4 years ago.
Your in luck - I finished your diagrams early. I made up a total of 4 in order to show you all the wiring. So look over the diagrams and if you have any questions just let me know.

Wiring into the junction box with the contactors:
graphic

This is the wiring from the junction box / relay box to the first set of three way switches:
graphic

This is the wiring at the second switch box:
graphic

This is what the wiring looks like from the junction box / relay box to the lights:
graphic