Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

How do i ground my flammable locker cabinets

How do i ground my flammable locker cabinets?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
Hello .. Can you tell me where the cabinet is located .. basement, shop, ?? is it on a wood or concrete floor ? how far away is the electrical panel? Are there any receptacles in the area??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Two are located in my maintenance shop and one is in the garage. The floors are concrete. The electrial panel is 40 ft. away. There is outlets close by.
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
OK .. The grounding of the cabinet is to prevent sparks from static electricity . The NFPA 30 code does not require the cabinets to be grounded. The cabinets can be bonded to the building structure . In your case the cabinets are sitting on concretye floors ,, so this should be an adequate contact, if you wish to compliment this then secure the cabinet to the concrete floor with an anchoring device .. Any thoughts questions , please get back to me
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
Hmm .. this is if the cabinets are used for storage of containers of flammable substances .,, paint cans, oil cans, grease cans .. IF the containern are being used to store containers that can dispense the flammable liquids, oils drums with a spout , then there is a posibility of creating static electricity and the cabinet must be bonded to the building structure and the containers inside and the reciaving containers must be pigtail bonded to the cabinet ..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good info so far but what i need to know is 12 gauge stranded wire good enough? Can i simply run this wire over to an outlet provided its propertly grounded and call it good or does it need to be run all the way back to a breaker panel?
Expert:  Rich replied 7 years ago.
I do not think that electrical grounding is what you want here .. that would , in my opinion just add another potential hazzard , making the cabinet a return path for stray electrical voltage, and I am assuming that you will not be using any electrical device inside the cabinet .. it is a mechanical bonding to the building structure to ballance out any static electric charge that may be created by a person approaching the cabinet, or by the action of dispensing a flammable liquid from a container within the cabinet ..